Author Topic: Automotive jobs  (Read 21078 times)

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
Re: Automotive jobs
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »
Really interesting read this thread and helpful.

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma, I was at college for 2 years after school studying networking and computer stuff, got bored of that and just took a few years out working part time jobs.
Then last year I begun a course at the Leeds College of Art after I'd saved up enough money to get back into education (quite a passion for photography and design) done that for a year now and onto a second year of it and it's come to the time of deciding on if I should proceed onto a degree level course at uni in a related Art field or to bail out of the study education route and go into an apprenticeship in some sort of automotive, mechanical engineering thing.. been looking a few but the pay isn't enough to live off really and it's 40 hours a week and with me currently renting a flat out with my girlfriend it'd be tough to pay the bills/run the cars etc.

Does anyone have some more advice on if it'd be a wise move to go into an apprenticeship in that field? as I've always had a big interest in doing something like that as a job but never figured a good way of getting into it as well as having practical learning along the way?. 

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 05:18:43 pm »
ereeiz - My guess is Ken Martin?

Rings a bell, all I remember is he had white hair I think? Liked a snooze mid- lecture, had a very red face/ hands from alcohol and used to work for Flymo?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »
That's the chap!

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 01:41:41 am »
Really interesting read this thread and helpful.

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma, I was at college for 2 years after school studying networking and computer stuff, got bored of that and just took a few years out working part time jobs.
Then last year I begun a course at the Leeds College of Art after I'd saved up enough money to get back into education (quite a passion for photography and design) done that for a year now and onto a second year of it and it's come to the time of deciding on if I should proceed onto a degree level course at uni in a related Art field or to bail out of the study education route and go into an apprenticeship in some sort of automotive, mechanical engineering thing.. been looking a few but the pay isn't enough to live off really and it's 40 hours a week and with me currently renting a flat out with my girlfriend it'd be tough to pay the bills/run the cars etc.

Does anyone have some more advice on if it'd be a wise move to go into an apprenticeship in that field? as I've always had a big interest in doing something like that as a job but never figured a good way of getting into it as well as having practical learning along the way?. 

If you go for an automotive apprenticeship after studying at college for 2 years on a completely different topic...kind of a waste of time?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2013, 07:25:47 am »
Well bit of an update, I've been offered a job at snows BMW where I can carry on my apprenticeship. :D
Pay is nearly £2 an hour better and will go up pretty soon. Also got an interview at a classic restoration place, pitt lane garages, resorting jags, Aston Martin's etc, had a stand at goodwood
so is looking good!!!!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 11:21:48 am »
Nice one. Good luck with the interview!