Author Topic: Drooping doors  (Read 3101 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Drooping doors
« on: August 15, 2013, 11:56:28 am »
Just replaced my rotten drivers door, however its hanging a tad low. any easy fix or did i just buy a dud door?

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: Drooping doors
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:51:02 pm »
Youll find no adjustment on older cars, atleast its only a little bit out
the only way to adjust older car doors is on the catch (not a great deal of adjustment) and the other one is a lump or sledge hammer to the hinges, not fun as it usually breaks all the paint away.

ive had to do to fiestas in the past is to, fit the the door, see where it needs to go, remove door, hammer hinges, refit dooor and keep doing that
alot easier with two people
this is why ive decided to grind the rust out of my doors as i cant be bothered with hammering hinges
the fiesta i did was so far out we thought it was for a different year! Had to hammer the crap out of the body hinges lol
good luck

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:54 pm »
Block of wood and a trolley jack  ;D

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:54:27 am »
New pins help quite a bit, but IIRC you have to buy the whole fecking hinge, and they're something like £25 a pair. The hinges have a brass liner which holds lube and which usually wears first. Look at play in the hinges first, then if it's obvious, find some high tensile rod of the right diameter and replace the pins with that. They may squeak a bit initially, but end up OK.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:04 am »
The issue seems to lie within the lowest hinge which has the most movement. The gaps between the interlocking hinge parts are fairly worn. Are the pins easy to knock out. As i still have my old door, so could use the hinges that were good?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 02:31:33 pm »
The pins drift out easily enough, so using the old ones might be worthwhile.