Author Topic: Discreet rear speakers  (Read 5637 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Discreet rear speakers
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:21 am »
Morning,

So the lad i bought my car off was pretty pleased with the sound system he had put in. However it gives the vehicle a slightly yobbish look with the large jbl speakers sticking through the parcel tray.

Has anyone devised a nice way of fitting speakers with decent sound quality that doesn't get raise the eyebrows of the track-suited community 

Pictures would be much appreciated

Cheers

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: Discreet rear speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:41 am »
You can make a parcel shelf out of wood and have sunken speakers, then just carpet over the top.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:29:05 am »
like a ply wood? or would it have to be lighter/stronger?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:41:48 am »
Ply is fine dude, some people make em mega heavy but I'd try and keep it as light as poss as parcel shelfs tend to bounce over bumps

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »
I had one that was MDF and it was soo bloody heavy that after a while over going over speed bumps it ripped the screws out and the backing part fell out.

Offline Phil

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »
If you're actually worried about the sound quality, I'd invest your time in making some doorpods/kick panels rather than a parcel shelf.

Rear speakers are for passengers. You don't listen to a decent hifi with your back turned now do you?

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:49:46 am »
Yeah that's what i was thinking. usually only me in the car anyway. any speaker recommendations for the doors?

Offline Phil

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:33 am »
All comes down to budget really. Focal/Morel are good high end speakers. I've got a set of 3 way focals for sale at the moment.

Or just go for a pair of 6.5" components, no real need for 3 ways. You'll need a decent amp too, assuming you get the doorpods right and the doorcards attached properly with a decent amp and headunit it'll sound 10 times better than 4" speakers in the dash and large rears.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 06:38:08 pm »
Speakers on the shelf are make a Hugh improvement, even if there cheap tat!

Offline C0UP3

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 05:42:28 pm »
Where the stock rear speaker grills are I just mounted my rear speakers below them works just fine, I have them adjusted reasonably low though just to Shift the sound back a little.

Screwed straight through the rear plastic trim peices and painted the screws black totally stealth until you stick your head in the boot