Author Topic: How do you take off the pulley?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline G40jamie

• Members
  • Loving the G40
How do you take off the pulley?
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:38:07 pm »
probably a silly question but i cant figure out how to take off my pulley to replace it with a 65mm pulley. i tried undoing the 17mm nut in the middle of the pulley but just span it round, help pleaseeee

Offline Freddy77

• Members
Re: How do you take off the pulley?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:39:54 pm »
I literally just had the sam problem so I put left the belts on and  undid the lower left bolt that lets you tighten the belts and used a torque wrench to use the tension in the belts to hold it still while I undid the pulley with a socket
Worked a treat, hope this helps if not get a leather belt and a pair of mole grips

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »
Use an oil filter chain strap and a bit of rag around the pulley to prevent damage
Thanks taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 03:22:22 pm »
Use a pipe wrench like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_525199_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Protect the pulley, i use a piece of old tooth belt
Do up as tight as you can with the wrench opening/jaws facing you and pull towards you (makes it clamp better) and then you can tighten a little more
then undo the bolt and use the engine mount as a rest/stop for the wrench. Makes it easier.

Its really easy to do, unless you too much loctite on the bolt like i did once  ::)

Then just do opposite when tightening up