Author Topic: Brake pedal & brake switch  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Brake pedal & brake switch
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:20:56 pm »
Can anyone tell me if the brake switch is supposed to act directly on the brake pedal, or whether there's a plastic clip on the pedal which engages with the switch please?

Basically my switch doesn't touch the pedal when the pedal is up (brakes off), so the brake lights are on all the time - and it's so long since I took it all apart I can't remember what it should be like! ::)

Or does the pedal need adjusting?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: Brake pedal & brake switch
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:21:16 pm »
I've just had a look at my pedal box which like yours is off the car. Assuming I haven't lost anything it appears the pedal operates directly against the switch.
I can't see any means of adjustment, the switch is just clipped into the pedal box. My brake pedal returns against the edge of the pedal box. Are you sure the switch is fully engaged and that nothing is stopping the pedal returning against the edge of the pedal box?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:08 pm »
Thanks Richard. Mine's on the car - MOT is looming!

I think there's supposed to be a return spring to pull the pedal back up hard against the brake switch plunger and the edge of the pedal bracket assembly. If so, that's what's missing, as at the moment it's only being returned by the spring in the servo. Will dig out my box of random springs tomorrow and have a play.

Interestingly, there appears to be a G40-only plunger type spring that sits behind the brake pedal too.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:08:20 pm »
Had this problem, took me ages to figure it out, basicly, grab hold off the plunger and yank it out, its gone too far inside itself, when you take the retaning clip of the brake pedal for the servo it fires back on the switch forcing it inside itself
then when you refit it, its to short

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:26:30 pm »
Cheers Taylor, will check that too!

Will have a play tomorrow, didn't investigate properly this evening, as by the time I'd rushed to Halfords to buy a new battery and fitted it, it was time to put the baby to bed.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
Taylor is correct. 

Infuriatingly - 2 min fix.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:48:13 am »
Taylor is correct. 

Infuriatingly - 2 min fix.

yeah, and took me more like 2 hours of getting highly irritated and shouting at everything!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:05 pm »
I like 2 minute fixes, cheers dudes - all working after a session with electrical contact cleaner and a bit of yanking.

The return spring shown in ETKA is missing from my car, but seems to be missing on Yoof's and any other pics of Polo pedal boxes I can find too. Maybe LHD only.

Taylor - does your G40 have a damper type thing going from the brake pedal to the back of the pedal box? Again, ETKA shows this, but mine isn't a G40 so doesn't have it.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 01:20:30 pm »
No mate, just the spring at the top where its mounted, and then the pin where it goes into the servo at the bottom. I just put mine in the other day. Will get some pics up