Author Topic: Another standalone oil question.  (Read 4174 times)

Offline g40willa

• Members
Another standalone oil question.
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »
Hi all, I have just searched standalone oil systems and read all the threads, i'd like the mocal but it's out of my price range at the mo, people are saying that the Facet is not so reliable, what do you guys think is the most proven setup? I love the idea of pure fresh oil going around the charger instead of sump gunk. Cheers all.

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: Another standalone oil question.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »
Ive wanted to do this too, but decent oil pumps are £200+ and the facet pump is only a fuel pump.
If you find a cheaper alternative id be well interested
must increase bearing and seal life considerably

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »
I've being running a Facet cube pump which only manages 7psi without any issues. Opened out the banjo bolts and went for as high flow as practical with 8mm pipework. Correct oil is probably a key part of the equation though. Joe Gibbs Zero Viscosity looks like dirty water and feels like dirty water, but no complaints so far.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »
I've being running a Facet cube pump which only manages 7psi without any issues. Opened out the banjo bolts and went for as high flow as practical with 8mm pipework. Correct oil is probably a key part of the equation though. Joe Gibbs Zero Viscosity looks like dirty water and feels like dirty water, but no complaints so far.

how many miles between charger intervals? How long have you had the pump?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:09:08 am »
Only done about 3000 miles on this set-up, but not expecting any issues. PSD(allegedly) toothies; toothed belts dramatically reduce strain on bearings. Oil is used for hot qualifying laps in many U.S. motorsport events, so if you can trust your mega-bucks engines to survive a thrashing with it, then pumping it through simple, relatively load free bearings shouldn't present any problems. Temperature after fifty miles motoring is about 45 degrees C if I remember correctly. Pressure is interesting; up to about 4000rpm it holds about 5psi, then between 4 and 5000 rpm it falls slightly(I reckon the bearings are offering a lower resistance at that speed) before rising to 6/7 psi at 6000rpm upward. Oil still very clean at this time although I would recommend flushing your charger with something cheaper before using the Joe Gibbs  XPO; it's about £20 a pint.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:52:34 pm »
Rather than a pump would a pressure relief valve not be an option.  Some way of keeping pressure down to the charger but allowing rest back to sump?

Still going to be toasty....but perhaps lighter and less complicated?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:55 am »
The Portuguese often just stick a restrictor in the oil feed line.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:13 am »
I never had any problems with a facet fuel pump using very thin oil.  I had a mechanical gauge plumbed in though to keep an eye on the pressure.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »
I'm  looking at a Walbro fuel pump putting out 15 psi for around £85. Tried a fuel pump from a diesel Pug; don't know what pressure, but things got a bit "foamy".

Offline g40willa

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 01:53:07 pm »
cheers guys, good food for thought, i'll keep you posted.