Author Topic: Retro Rides  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Retro Rides
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:38:18 am »
Gutted about your car Alex-  :'( Any cheeky mods you can do to ease the pain?
Well I've got a new exhaust coming, that's a reason to be cheerful. :D

Just looking to get it all sorted as easily as possible, but there's no price difference between a Genesis tailgate and a non-Genesis tailgate so it makes sense to finish the process with a green tinted rear screen rather than go to the trouble and stay clear. I was after a grey tailgate for simplicity, but whatever I get won't match the mirror paintwork on the rest of the car, so it'll have to be painted anyway.

Maybe I should take it and just go up the hill a few times with the bumper hanging off. It's in no fit state for a club stand though, unless it's parked with the back end against a bush. I reckon the new exhaust will be fitted before the damage is repaired.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 11:09:49 am »
Mate if its not in the body shop at the time, bring it anyway. At least you will be there!

Have you actually got a quote from VW for a tailgate and glass? I know wings arent that expensive and if you arent paying for it, it might be better to go for new stuff. That is if they arent obsolete of course.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 01:20:47 pm »
I've just received this from Retro Rides, this is for people who've bought weekend camping tickets. I'll not be able to make this as I'll not get there from Portsmouth in time but it sounds decent for anyone going on the friday night.

Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb Day Trip
Saturday 17th August

Hey Folks!

We're please to announce a day trip out on the Saturday 17th August which will make your weekend the ultimate hill climb experience.

Shelsley Walsh hold their 'Championship Challenge' event over the same weekend of the Gathering and we've manage to team up with them to offer Weekend Ticket holders discounted tickets to entrance to the Championship Challenge on the Saturday.

It'll be about an hours drive, and when you get there you'll be greeted with a solid day of hill climb action provided by the Avon Tyres MSA British Hill Climb Championship and the TTC Group Hill Climb Leaders Championship. The event also incorporates a round of the Midland Hill Climb Championship, the Paul Matty Sports Cars Lotus Championship and special classes for Historic 500cc Racing Cars and significant Lotus Saloon, Sports, Sports Racing and Racing Cars. The Aston Martin Owners Club will also be out in force at the event.

Day entry prices are usually £12 on the gate or £10 in advance but we've managed to arrange a special RR price of just £8.50!

Your Championship Challenge tickets will be sent to you with your Gathering tickets.

Championship Challenge tickets are only available to those who have purchased Gathering Weekend tickets, and you may only purchase the same number of Championship Challenge tickets as you have Gathering Weekend tickets.

To grab your Shelsley Walsh tickets simply click the link below
http://retrorides.tictail.com/product/shelsley-walsh-17th-august-ticket

Tickets are likely to be available until sometime approaching the end of July. Keep an eye of the RRG board, Facebook or Twitter for more details closer to the time.

Cya all in August!

The RRG Team
www.retroridesgathering.com

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »
Mate if its not in the body shop at the time, bring it anyway. At least you will be there!

Have you actually got a quote from VW for a tailgate and glass? I know wings arent that expensive and if you arent paying for it, it might be better to go for new stuff. That is if they arent obsolete of course.
I'm told the glass is obsolete from Volkswagen, but no I haven't asked. I'm going to wait and see what the insurance company says, but I really don't mind using recycled parts. Keeps the repair cost down, and it's what I'd use if the money was coming out of my pocket. I'm worried they'll dig around and get me fitting pattern parts, which I really don't want.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 01:44:30 pm »
I know sometimes parts prices are horrific but sometimes they aren't too bad. I know where you are coming from but I don't think you'd be taking the piss to use new genuine parts if available, after all its not your fault you need a new bootlid is it!

I did have a green tint window transferred into my tailgate some years ago too. I paid a window fitter to do it and he came to work and did it in the car park. £50 or £60 it was to remove glass from two tailgates and fit the tinted glass to my tailgate. He did a really good job and even fitted the seal correctly that runs along the bottom. Just a shame my tailgate is now rusting.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 08:55:15 am »
The car's booked in to be repaired on the 10th August, which I thought was RR weekend. But it isn't. Light dawned on empty head when I remembered that was the weekend of the RWYB. It's due back the following weekend... so I can't see any reason why I won't make it to RR.

The tailgate is being painted so it's ready to fit that week. Means all the bodyshop will have to do is pull the back panel into shape, paint the panel under the light (it's chipped on the corner) and fit the new light, bumper and tailgate. Shouldn't take too long, apparently.

I've sourced (well, Tav is sending) a good condition LA7U tailgate down this week. The legwork's been done, I'm taking the path of least resistance to make sure this gets fixed pronto.

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »
Looks to me moving on ok then :)

I'm really looking forward to this!

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:42 pm »
Got my wrist bands for this a few days ago.

We are heading down and camping on friday night. Is it camping on the stand like BVF? Just need to know where to set up basically :)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 10:23:44 pm »
I know sometimes parts prices are horrific but sometimes they aren't too bad. I know where you are coming from but I don't think you'd be taking the piss to use new genuine parts if available, after all its not your fault you need a new bootlid is it!

I did have a green tint window transferred into my tailgate some years ago too. I paid a window fitter to do it and he came to work and did it in the car park. £50 or £60 it was to remove glass from two tailgates and fit the tinted glass to my tailgate. He did a really good job and even fitted the seal correctly that runs along the bottom. Just a shame my tailgate is now rusting.

thought those windows were encapsulated? can you get the seal seperate? this is good news :) thought id have to mask the window up, but maybe not :D

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 08:49:28 pm »
Is there anyone other than Mark and I who are still going to this this weekend?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
I was - but I've ended up with a family get together on Sunday so I'm out regardless of what happens with my car.