Author Topic: dismantling Quaife ATB Diff  (Read 1314 times)

Offline josé

• Members
dismantling Quaife ATB Diff
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Evening all,

I stripped 2nd gear in my gearbox on thursday night, this was in no way related to watching fast and furious 6 and trying to replicate paul walkers gear changes in his 20 speed skyline.......... so i stripped the box off the car for inspection today as i suspected the box was filled with swarf and the remainder of 2nd gear, which has resulted in very small pieces making their way into the diff, i got the car home ok and apart from the swarf the diff looks to be ok.

My question is how easy is the diff to split apart and clean the swarf out??? as i don't want to strip it and bits fly everywhere and im left with a useless collection of nicely machined bits of metal.

Or would it be best to send the box away to get rebuilt hopefully meaning that all the swarf and knackered parts are removed and replaced.... Thats if vag still stock gears for an atv box???

when i fitted the diff i noticed that 2nd was missing a tooth but hoped it would be ok until it lasted 1000 miles  :(

any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

will upload a picture when i can

cheers,
josh

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: dismantling Quaife ATB Diff
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:23 pm »
I sent my gripper diff back to the supplier for a full strip down and rebuild when I stripped 5th. Too much of a risk once metal has gone through it, at least now I know it's all good to go.

Offline josé

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:49:57 am »
Roughly how much did It cost you Robin when you got it back??

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:37:57 am »
I'd get in touch with Quaife and see what they have to say...

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:10 am »
£120 all in which included full strip, new plates, new shafts, pre load set up, rebuild, postage and vat.