Author Topic: forte top end treatment  (Read 11160 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
forte top end treatment
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:30 am »
im fairly convinced now that my morning miss fire is due to a sticking valve.  now ive used forte top end treatment before and have been very pleased with it, its quite expensive and gets very good reviews all over the place so im happy to use it again.  just pops in with a fresh oil change.

anyway my question is should i use an forte engine flush too before putting the new oil and filter on as i can get hold of that too?  or should  i stay clear of it?  will a change of oil and filter and the top ed treatment be enough?  im just a little suspect using an engine flush on the delicate charger internals...
cheers
dan

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: forte top end treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:56:43 am »
Don't use it- I thought you re-built your engine not long ago, regular filter and oil changes with good quality oil should be all your engine requires.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: forte top end treatment
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »
[quote pid=735 author=Yoof date=1207565803]Don't use it- I thought you re-built your engine not long ago, regular filter and oil changes with good quality oil should be all your engine requires.[/quote]

yeah thats what i thought.just read through other foums and people using engine flush.  just wanted someone else to confirm to me not to use it  LOL .  thanks.  gonna   use the forte top end stuff though, that really is very good, and since i have exhausted everything else i can possibly think of, sticking valve is the only thing that seems to match the problem im having.  cold start/eraly moring missfire.  goes after the car is revved a few times and runs without any problems after that?!!!

just to prove how extensive ive tried the following are defo not the issue:
plugs
leads
dizzy cap/rotor arm
vaccuum hoses
blue temp sensor
lambda
knock sensor
hall sender
coil
new earth leads
fuel pumps
fuel filter
injectors
timing checked
new fuel pipe clamps
resistance set on co pot at 550 ohms
no water loss/minimal, expected oil usage
no smoke under load/boost or on start up
normal fuel consumption
there are no oil leaks, water leaks anywhere
ive cleaned and wd40'd all connections on the loom

if there is a genius out there that can recommend anything else.  speak up cos ive ran out of ideas!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:24:03 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: forte top end treatment
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:53 am »
you tried changing the flux capacitor dan?

I cant remember the name of it but there is one treatment you put in the oil after a fresh change and you drive the car for a while. Somewhere in the region of 100miles I think. You then do another oil change and your good to go. I have no personal experience but from what I have learnt the '5 minute bosh in before an oil change' products aren't as good as the type I mentioned above as they don't get into the engine properly.

I have to agree with Yoof. My G40 has had 2 oil changes since I owned it and its done about 300 miles and each time my engine has got noticeably smoother. If your engine has been rebuilt then there really is not going to be much build up. Have you taken your G40 for a good drive recently. Mine seems to love it when it has a chance to stretch it legs. All this plottering in traffic is no good for a car like yours.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: forte top end treatment
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:42 pm »
[quote pid=751 author=giorgio date=1207642133]you tried changing the flux capacitor dan?

I cant remember the name of it but there is one treatment you put in the oil after a fresh change and you drive the car for a while. Somewhere in the region of 100miles I think. You then do another oil change and your good to go. I have no personal experience but from what I have learnt the '5 minute bosh in before an oil change' products aren't as good as the type I mentioned above as they don't get into the engine properly.

I have to agree with Yoof. My G40 has had 2 oil changes since I owned it and its done about 300 miles and each time my engine has got noticeably smoother. If your engine has been rebuilt then there really is not going to be much build up. Have you taken your G40 for a good drive recently. Mine seems to love it when it has a chance to stretch it legs. All this plottering in traffic is no good for a car like yours.[/quote]

It doesnt do much 'plottering' in traffic it gets driven properly all the time.  in fact it does about 300 miles a week!  im gonna be doing the forte gas treatment which i bought from vw actually??  and the forte top end treatment which just goes in with the oil.ive used the two before and found its really impressive stuff,(wants to be for the price!)  like i said above after yoofs advice, im not doing an engine flush.  i just wanted peoples opinions.  i flushed the engine before the rebuild, but wondered what peoples thoughts were to doing it again.  As i suspected it's defo a no no, apart from you lads, even the lad a vw said it can cause a whole host of poblems when i was talking about it to him..

The oil and filter gets changed every 3k and it does always fel much better after an oil change but its never cured this miss fire....
 lets remember though ive done 35k since the rebuild, hardly no milage.. LOL   thats over ten oil changes!!! bloody hell!
I'm at a point now where there is nothing else to check other than to strip the head off and look inside.  

The charger will hopefully be back on on saturday, its getting oil/filter change, fresh charger belts, the timing checked and vagcom plugged in to clear any fault codes.  The forte top end/gas treatments and then if that doesn't solve it am taking the head off (in a rage).  I will not be beaten!!!! LOL  LOL  LOL
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:37:03 pm by supercharged spaniel »

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: forte top end treatment
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:45:36 pm »
http://www.forteuk.co.uk/

For anyone who isn't already familiar with the forte range, (no i dont work for them)  here is the website, they are alot more specific than some of the cheaper stuff from halfrauds etc STP stuff like that.  the ones i'm familiar with, are, on the top row, the red one, and the blue one.  i know people often say dont use additives and I usually wouldn't and don't, but i've used these before and i've never heard any bad feedback from anyone who has used them before either.

If you click on the bottles it will give you a break down of what they are specifically for.  they are quite expensive, typically around 15-20 quid for a 400ml bottle of top end treatment, and should only be used occasionally, and as a last resort really, as it aint gonna solve everything.  It can only be bought trade too?  dunno why?

I will keep you updated as to what happens with mine.  If it goes bang you will find out too woop woop LOL  LOL   nah it won't but i'll keep you posted to wether it works or not but im fairly confident.

thanks for all your advice so far lads though!!
dan
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:50:59 pm by supercharged spaniel »