Author Topic: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?  (Read 8297 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:23:27 pm »
well i was at petrol station today and noticed this, one wheel sits a good inch further forwards/back than the other

the drivers side sits far back and passenger, forward, or normal as im hoping lol

ive checked everything out and it all seems fine, my only finders are that the drivers, or passenger side isnt same angle, this image shows what i mean

you can see that the passenger side is at much more of an angle that the other, as the passenger side is fixed, and shows no signs of movement, im guessing its the drivers side that needs moving, pete tells me there is a good 5mm of moment in it...

im hoping that 5mm equates to a inch of wheel movement!

anyone got any ideas?

cheers

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:55:15 pm »
First port of call is to measure the distance from the edge of the arb block to a given point on the hub and compare the 2. Just look for any discrepancies between the two side of the arb.

Just plucking ideas out of thin air but slacken the blocks and jack the car up. Then tighten them where the arb sits naturally. Is it possible the arb has been twisted then clamped up with the blocks?

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:40:17 pm »
I can't remember if there is slight room for adjustment of the ARB bracket where it bolts to the inner wing/chassis leg area?

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:47:01 pm »
pete says there is slight room for movement, im gunna do some measuring and maybe crack everything off and do some measuring, and try a spare arb, it can only be so many things...

anyone got any side shots of the front wheels, so i can see where they are suppose to sit? lol

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:56:05 am »
The only accurate way to measure this is the wheelbase.

Measure from the centre of the rear hub to the centre of the front- my car had a 25mm differance before I fitted the subframe, there is some adjustment in the arb mount on the drivers side, but not much.

Only way to correct this is with a subframe, or custom making some ARB blocks to suit your requirements. Alot of Polos have this- and is more profound after lowering and fitting of harder bushes etc. Either way it's not good for handling...

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 08:50:32 pm »
If its the same problem I had I expect your finding that the car turns in easier one way than the other, in which case the fix is easy!!  
If you loosen off the ARB blocks enough to slide the ARB from left to right, then you'll notice the the wheel position and castor angle will change cordingly, so it only a case of getting the ARB position correct from a transvers point of view.  With the original VAG mounts, they alllowed enough flex and movement for the ARB to centerlise itself, but the 'G-Laderseite' type don't allow that transverse or longitudinal float, so accurate setup is requierd.  As stated above the best place to measure from is the rear wheel position.  once you've got your correct position, then its worth fiting the collars that should come with the 'G-laderseite' bushes that ensure that they don't settle and move again, allowing the lose of desired wheel geometery.  

Let us know how you get on? :)

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:26:58 pm »
just fitted my arb blocks the other day how tight should you do the blocks and i have a creaking coming from one side when slow turning (parking) whats this?

iv also lost my collars that lock the arb from sliding what can i use or can i buy some new ones from some where?

sorry to thread hijack

cheers
andy
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:29:02 pm by cheddarcheese »

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Front Arb mount issue, wheels dont sit same?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:39:59 pm »
Top mounts creak a bit sometimes. Mine do it, as well as rattle and moving too LOL

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
its not my Top mounts as its coming from my arb!!!

Offline G-spot

• Members
Without the collers the ARB will try to move within the block, they do on the normal mounts but due to rubber it flex's allowing enough play for it not to slip.

Tighten the blocks as tight as any other suspension/engine mount part, but without the clamps it will creep/slip about and then not recentralise propably.

Offline Weeman

• Members
if you dont have the locking clmps on then the anti roll bar will be moving side to side in the blocks, and will make that kinda noise.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
i only just checked back this post!

ah cool, yes you are right, my handling seems to be damn awful in general since fitting the blocks, just never got round to fixing the problem!

will have a go and see how i get on, cheers man!