Author Topic: Capri green, original G40  (Read 22912 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Capri green, original G40
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:18 pm »
Well thought i should get a proper build thread going as my last one for my mk2 golf was a half hearted attempt

Ok, so a bit about the car, will try and keep it short as
Bought the car 5 months ago from a guy in Andover who sees himself as a polo "enthusiast" he had 3 G40's and an original mk2 g40 left hooker
i ended up accidentally buying the polo after viewing a golf, but saw the capri green polo (same colour as my golf) in the corner and loved it!

not knowing anything about G40's and just thinking "this is going to dick my mates cars" i handed over £2500 of my hard earned money..... of course it wasnt! my nan lent it too me :P

the car was apparently standard. since then ive found it has a PSD full blend, PSD camshaft, 1341 overbore with acralite pistons, GT manifold, viper shocks and springs and a PSD chip. clearly the guy doesnt know polo's that well
had a really bad pinking problem which turned out to be a PSD map for 250cc injectors, but the car only having 200cc injectors. top job to someone

after replacing half the car and sorting many many faults, and working many many weekends. its getting to a stage where im happy with it and can start on the body work

here is how its sat at the moment

Its lowered 60/60 on an h&r cup kit (will be going for Bilstein when i spray my old suspension)

as you can see the non genuine exhaust hangs 4 foot too low. so thats on the list to do

will get some more pictures and let them do the talking, but heres the current spec for now

PSD full blend (about to receive a complete overhaul with new everything)
PSD 1341 cam
PSD 1341 chip
just ordered G60 injectors
acralite 1341 piston
ARB blocks with nylon outer bushes
H&R cup kit
Magnecor HT leads

Taylor

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:24:44 pm by z3i »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Capri green, original G40
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »
Looks lovely!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 02:56:55 pm »
Pics are not working Taylor  :o

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:29:38 pm »
Sorted now :)
sorry, i had a move around sorting pics on photobucket and it messed it all up

got a new sony xperia 7 so can get some photos whilst doing work now :D could never really be bothered to get my giant SLR out with dirty hands to take photos working on the car. should get some mid paint shots too :)
Taylor

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:40:06 pm »
Lovely looking G. You going keep it as factory looking as possible?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:33:15 pm »
Thanks peeps :)
yeah.. Well try too, got a full factory sticker set of dknight which will be fitted after shes resprayed, need to collect a few panels first
need to get some proper g40 badges too, want it too look standard from the outside (apart from ride height) but a completely different story under the bonnet

few more pics, the sunroof arms i soaked in some doex c and de rusted them, then primed and painted at work, came out really well and completely rust proof :-)

the other pics are various things ive bought and fitted etc

taylor
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:17:22 pm by z3i »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »
Few updates nothing major

Got a 6n coil and replaced my coil which has seen far better days

Made a new earth up with some bmw wiring and audio crimps from halfrauds

Got a completly standard throttle body of tom as mine has been ported by (im assuming PSD) looks like a good job, but the butterfly shaft doesnt sit central so it sticks ever so slightly open when closed causing it to hunt and run lean (meaning ive had to screw the co pot all the way in to stop it cutting at junctions

coudnt believe how big the wedges are!! so unscrewed the lot, took the wedges out and then re tapped the screws and threads in the shaft (they are security ones) took a while to do but nailed it and now i can reuse them with a bit of locktight :)

gave the butterfly to my mate to tig weld the holes up and grind back, then i will paint it in some random colour :D

Deox c is slowly working its magic, taking abit longer than i thought, but it is heavily rusted

Back in some fresh doex c for another 5 days or so

also will finally be getting one of Phil j's first batch of g40 alloy radiators £150 sounds like a bargain to me!
also ordered a "2.5 bore single exit stainless steel exhaust from him too

Steel toothed belt kit from ebay
syntec race fuel pump
still wating on my g60 injectors
basicly postage is being long and im impatient
Thanks Taylor

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:09:59 pm by z3i »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »
Looks great, keep the orange indicators  8)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:37:17 pm »
Looks great, keep the orange indicators  8)

Thanks mate :)
Definitely will be! when i bought it, it had clear ones, so i said to the guy to change them or im knocking money off lol.
orange is the way forward :)

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:06 am »
Surprised i've only just seen this, amazing colour, looks lovely.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 03:08:38 pm »
Surprised i've only just seen this, amazing colour, looks lovely.

Thanks mate :) yeah i love Capri green

Fair amount of updates, though not so many pictures. Met Pete g40 :D such a helpful bloke! would be so stuck without his help

Started to rebuild my charger last weekend, it was well and truly overdue, PSD must have done it back in 2005 or so. long story short i ended up breaking my timing casing where the apex seals sit, stupid mistake but bought toms r1 charger and the internals where nice and smooth whereas my PSD one was really worn! so awaiting on the r1 casing to be welded up so i can completely rebuild it, for now its running a Full blend outlet, new scroll bearing and seals and gave it all a really good clean, put it back on the car until i get a hold of the R1 outlet

my full blend, well worn!!!

The R1 all cleaned up with new seals and scroll bearing

half and half lol

Finally got my G60 injectors after waiting 3 bloody weeks!! turned out they were sent to the wrong address! the guy on ebay got really shirty with me. completely stopped the pinking :D happy man, runs much better now, small things like when you turned the engine off it used too sound awfull but sounds perfect now

The thing im most happy about is the throttle body, got a completly standard one of tom as mine is PSD 51mm and the butter fly is a bit crap, so leaks air at idle causing it to hunt, stripped the original one and got the holes from the wedges tigd up by a mate for some beers :)

looks spot on! runs soooooo much better no more hunting at idle and because its not running lean at idle due to the air leak it means i can set my co pot sensor properly, runs lovely now, the transition of off change gear and back on throttle is soo much better, before it was really jerky when pulling away or anything that meant on off throttle as the ecu wasnt gradually enriching the fuel because the co pot sensor was set on zero (so it didnt stall at junctions), so the ecu thought it was broken and not knowing the engine load. well this is the theory i came up with after reading loads of digifant training manuals from back in the early 90's that my mentor lent me :) also means my idle is set a rather nice 920rpm, whereas before it wouldnt go below 1000. set my timing as it was way out! my fault though, i was in a rush and must have done something wrong, so all good :)

fitted a full phil j exhaust system and a 4 branch i got cheap, was cracked, so a panel beater welded it up at work in return for painting a shelf of his lol. wrapped it and fitted a new NGK lambda sensor for £47! bargain! was a pain in the ass to fit!! had to grind the fudge out of the engine bracket to get it too fit

is blowing a bit as the clamps you get are pretty crap, there not a complete circle and end up squashing the exhaust at a funny angle leaving a cap, will try get a BMW one on it. not too keen on the dual exit, a bit of a communication error between me and phil, thought i was getting a single exit

got plenty more to fit, toothies, new knock sensor. sort the butterfly on the PSD throttle as its much bigger than standard

bought some stupidly wide wheels 9j front 8j rear, steffen rh cups. probably wont end up fitting them as they are too big

also fitted my last poly bush engine mount whilst it was off

have done soo much more but forgot alot lol. met Tom ethces too :) lovely turbo conversion he has
thanks for all the nice comments
Taylor

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »
Well did some more in the sun this weekend, sorted the blowing out on the exhaust, need to get a flexy of some kind in there as the downpipe is at the wrong angle and puts the whole exhaust out
investigated the previous front end damage, the fan shroud lower bumper beam are damaged as well as the os wing not fitting and some dodgy wiring. replaced a few parts, just found lots of rust and crap. cleaned it all up and wrote a list of things to source

if anything it fits worse now!
well looking for a front panel, lower bumper beam, the metal trim the goes under the lights and both wings
thanks Taylor

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
Got my alloy rad from phil J, looks good :) need to get it fitted for the trip in a few weeks

sorted my psd 51mm throttle thanks to Justin, sorted me out, and am so happy with the worksmanship, highly recommend him

though have a few running issues on cold idle, think pete has diagnosed it, dodgy alternator, the light keeps coming on, on a low idle
but cant sort that till i get paid

going to refurb my charger tommorow and fit toothies :D altough i still havnt got my r1 outlet back so im gonna have to fit a standard out let with new bearings for now, may loose a few psi but rather that than drive to switzerland on a dodgy charger. bearings in the freezer ready to go :D

also bought this hefty tome from the USA took 3 weeks to come through, but is a wealth of knowledge about everything vw watercooled. think of hilliers motor mechanics books mixed with vw performance, tells you everything, like how changing the cam duration will affect the engine, absolutely loads of stuff in there, highly recommend it

also refurbed one of my BCW's looks the tits in the flesh, however i dont want to roll and stretch the polo arches so they will be going up for sale

buying a ppp stage two of pete when i next see him :D probably wont be fitted for a while
and someone tried to steal my new back box from outside my house!! so fucked off!! theyve yanked it off and now its blowing a treat and doesnt sit right! cunts! if only i caught them doing it!

oh and not related but i painted this at work and am pretty proud of myself :D

no runs!

will have good updates tomorrow
Taylor
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:52:41 pm by z3i »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:52 pm »
i take no credit for the cleaning and rust treatment, my lovely girlfriend did it all in the blazing heat :)

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
Awesome project this :) do sometimes wish mine was capri green haha