Author Topic: G40 Version 2  (Read 47111 times)

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
Re: G40 Version 2
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:52 pm »
Next up - stripped all the rubber sealant and paint from the bottom half of the bay. It was pretty rusty in places and there was a couple of small splits where the legs join the bulkhead.(both sides) These were welded up as well as a few stitchings and a bit of bracing then it was hit with POR15

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 05:52:14 pm »
The sill was replaced then both sills and both inner wings were ground back to metal and POR15'd. Everything coated in POR15 was then sanded back before being shot with a few coats of stone chip paint.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »
I have a small hoard of parts at my disposal so I decided it was time to dip into it. I had scored a load of bodywork over the years for spares for the black car. Close inspection of the grey cars doors revealed that the nearside one had been broken into, and the offside one was starting to rust at the bottom - a good reason to use a nigh on perfect pair I came across thanks to the scrappage scheme.
I managed to buy a pair of genuine wings from the stealers - 85 sheets apiece (!)
An unused front bumper was bought from PeteG40 on here (bargain) and a pair of foglights was bought from chris2911 on here ( a little over half the price I paid at the stealers 6 years ago) Everything else I needed would come from the black car. It was now time to go over to Bez the paint man.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:46 pm »
A couple of weeks later the job was done. I fitted all the panels and glass so it could be returned for polishing. Surprisingly nothing got scratched!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
Didn't realise Bex painted it, didn't fancy a Bentley colour then?  ;) ;D

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
His unit is 30 feet from mine - well convenient,and he does a proper bo paint job to boot!
Didn't even consider any other colour!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 05:38:20 pm »
For some reason the other party's insurance company were taking the piss. In 4 months they hadn't even sent anyone to assess the damaged car. They knew the accident wasn't my fault - they just seemed to ignore me and hope I'd go away.
I wanted to use everything mechanical and electrical from the black car to rebuild the grey one. I ended up getting an independant assessor to do a report and valuation just so I could strip it. Court proceedings were started then I got stuck in!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 06:11:26 pm »
Most of the big stuff went in on the only day I didn't have my phone with me! Fuel tank and lines went up first, followed by rear suspension and beam with disc brakes. Next up the engine and box went in closely followed by the engine loom and ancillaries. Front suspension and 256mm brakes along with driveshafts and subframe saw the bulk of the work sorted. Thanks to Liam for giving us a lift with this and for the use of his ramp. The next day was spent completing the front end.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 06:31:44 pm »
After bleeding the brakes work commenced fitting side trims, foglights, bumpers and stripes. Starting to look more complete!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 06:50:11 pm »
I wanted to keep the electric windows, central locking and total closure alarm from the black car. The loom was easy enough to swap over but getting it all in the dash was a massive pain in the dick! To piss me off properly I then realised that I hadn't drilled the holes for the wiring in the doors. I don't quite know how I did it but all alone I managed to remove the doors, drill the holes and feed the wires through whilst refitting the doors without scratching anything. I wouldn't recommend attempting this without help! Only remembered to take a picture when the job was done and I realised it was bedtime.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:40 pm »
Badges on, then fired it up! The only thing that didn't work was the number plate lights. This was an easy fix though - just used the bulb holders from the black car. I was expecting a lot more ballache than that. I seemed to have got lucky!

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 07:28:34 pm »
Interior went in in no time. Hardest part was making new door membranes.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »
Woah! how did i miss this! looks lush :)

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 09:15:22 pm »
Cheers dude! It's far from perfect - but even though I'm a picky bastard I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

Offline sleag40

• Members
  • Poloist
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:18 pm »
All completed by the last week in October. It was taken away on a flat bed and put away in a garage at me mam's gaff to wait until the claim was settled. Got to drive it about 20 metres!