Author Topic: intercooler question  (Read 1769 times)

Offline njg911

• Members
intercooler question
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »
hi, does anyone know if it's worth getting a front mounted intercooler? if so, what sort of power gain should I expect to gain?

thanks.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: intercooler question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
Depends what mods you will do altogether. If your going turbo then thats obvious.

I never went FMIC and my engine is very modded. Only thing i dont have is big valves.

Offline njg911

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:06:58 pm »
it doesn't have to many mods. does it give the engine and charger more life?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:52 pm »
Leaving the car standard gives it more life.

Charger life depends mainly on pulley size. But things like boost mod and non standard air filters could also affect it. All depends really, even hitting rev limiter will damage it (not sure if that applies to non toothed pullies)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:49:04 pm »
Hitting the limiter on a glader is bad. could blow a seal. v belts may dampen it out a bit but still wouldnt risk it

Front mount intercooler is definitely the way forward, especially in the summer. the tiny little square thing on g40's is pretty poor, and doesn't exactly get the best airflow.
im just about to get one for mine. a mercedes sprinter intercooler is a good size, cheap £30ish and already has inlet and oulet pipes facing backwards.
I doubt it would have any effect on the glader life as its after the supercharger. but would lead to a healthier, cooler running engine :)
i would expect very minimal if any power gains
Taylor

Offline njg911

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:18 pm »
is it relatively easy to fit a front mounted intercooer? is there any extra pipe work or anything I need to buy?

thanks

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:04:06 pm »
FMIC all depends on size. And yes you will need extra piping. From outlet to IC and then up to throttle body.

My IC does just fine even in the summer. Mines custom made out of ally though and is the same size as the original one, (no crappy plastic end caps) get the stealth look as well a performance gain still  8)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »
FMIC all depends on size. And yes you will need extra piping. From outlet to IC and then up to throttle body.

My IC does just fine even in the summer. Mines custom made out of ally though and is the same size as the original one, (no crappy plastic end caps) get the stealth look as well a performance gain still  8)

Hmm, how much did you pay? i would rather this than faffing around fitting a front mount, and the stealth look is better :)
dont suppose you have an inlet air temp sensor? if it does cool well i would rather this setup :)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:29:48 am »
If you do get a front mount, make sure the inlets are facing backwards towards the engine or you will more than likely have to do some minor "notching" to the chassis, which isn't ideal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:31:34 am by AdzCM »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:28:32 am »
It was made by Radtech and it was roughly £400 to be made. I noticed a rise in 1-2 psi in boost as well, but i think thats mainly down to the original intercooler end caps can leak slightly.

Will try find a pic of it.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34:04 am »
This is what it looked like and its a one of a kind.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 08:38:17 am »
That looks shit hot!!! definitely need one of these!!
that price is a bit steep for me lol