Author Topic: g40 wiring problems and 3 pin plug by coil  (Read 5477 times)

Offline rhyswills1

• Members
g40 wiring problems and 3 pin plug by coil
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:12:58 pm »
I've got two plugs down by the coil pack both have black brown and green wires both connectors are 3 pin and one is male the other female there both tapped into the same section of loom I presume they plug into each other ? I've also got the useal no spark and no fuel pump priming problem I removed the loom 2 months ago and its gone straight back in the same car so I'm a little confused as to what's gone on the main fuse box and the big black and white connectors have seated correctly the only plug that I haven't got plugged in is the lambda probe but that shouldn't make a difference ? I've also noticed on the 5 pin relay (in the scuttle tray area fuse box side ) that there is a wire cut coming out the relay it comes out the center of the relay its 2 black wires and its reading 12v cant see were its been cut from as the looms been taped ( going to have a look next time ) I have noticed that someone has pikeyed the wires in a couple of others places but loom is as it was taken out

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: g40 wiring problems and 3 pin plug by coil
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:24:53 pm »
That wire coming out, goes to the ecu relay, without it, the fuel pump wont run and no spark the engine will only crank, the two black wires are ignition live and latch the relay across when ignition on, it should go to pin 85 or 86 on the relay, there arnt any markings on the relay, i cant remember which one, have altered my loom to use a mk2 golf relay so i cant look as its different

hope this helps
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:28:38 pm by z3i »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:33:41 am »
Yes mate, they go together and mount on a little metal bracket on the coil pack

Offline rhyswills1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:48 pm »
Thanks so far for the help ,Abit more progress now I've got the fuel pump working down to both relays having no ignition feed still no spark tho got power to the coil pack nothing coming out the dizzy tho  :-\

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:06:42 pm »
Have you got a haynes manual? have a look at the g40 wiring diagram, i remember a wire being connected between the ecu relay and something to do with the ignition system (sorry to be so vague) but that may be why you would have no spark but power to the coil

then again if the fuel pump is working but no spark, it may be something else

when you say the fuel pump is working, do you mean when you turn the ignition on it primes?

have you tried taking the dizzy off, but keeping all the connectors on. then turn the dizzy by hand and listen for the fuel pump? if theres a problem with the wiring to that, it would cause no spark (make sure you mark the dizzy before you remove it)

not sure what else to suggest

is the ecu relay definitely latching across when you turn the ignition on?

found this photo of mine before i changed my relay and swapped all the wiring

its the wiring order for the original relay,ignore the dodgy wiring, it wasnt me and its all sorted lol

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:09:03 pm »
the dodgy black/red wire is the bottom one, pin 30

i cant see how your fuel pump is working if your getting no live feed to the relay

Offline rhyswills1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »
No sorry I wrote it wrong it wasn't working cuz there was no live feed it is working now I've given the rely a ignition feed and bridged the two relays correctly I'm using auto data wiringing diagrahams cuz I have got a Haynes

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:41 pm »
Ah i see
by no love feed do you mean pin 30 (permanent live) or 86/85 (ignition live) have a look on the auto data and see where the wire next goes to
then check for continuity between the ecu end and the other end for a brake in the wire
and just keep following it back

also worth a quick beep test of all the fuses, more than likely not the problem, but takes two seconds and would rule it out
Taylor

Offline rhyswills1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:07 pm »
Sorted it turned out the 3 pin male and female green brown and black wires don't go to each others one goes to the coil other has a 3 pin black brown and black red don't no if that exactly how its sposed to be but it runs so that good enougth for me lol  ;D

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:18 pm »
Oh, im confused :S there definitly should be a conection like that down next to the coil and then the ome that goes into the coil?
Well it runs now :)
will get a pic of mine tommorow and post it