Author Topic: Loose Gear Linkage and New Clutch  (Read 2579 times)

Offline C20YOB

• Members
Loose Gear Linkage and New Clutch
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:48:01 pm »
Hi there, I'm currently doing the clutch on my G40. The clutch coming out is a helix 4 paddle cerametallic spring loaded plate, I'm wanting to replace the paddle plate, all else is fine, where's the best place to go for this? seen the plate on helix’s website for £175 so was just wondering if I can get it cheaper anywhere else?

Second thing I'm wondering is in regards to the gear linkage. It's very loose and seems to have a lot of play in it, looked into a quick shifter but the only people doing them are cae racing at £700 – no chance, what is there to be done? Is it a case of putting new bushes on, where can I get these? Also need a new rubber mount for the back box.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Duncan

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Loose Gear Linkage and New Clutch
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:28:57 pm »
get in contact with helix, they can resinter your friction plate assuming its ok other than  wear. That's assuming the pressure plate is nice and flat and true.

try ebay for gear linkage repair kit if not I've got a brand new one you can buy if you want. its may also be worth having a look at the different parts kf the linkage both under the shifter, and by the box to check for where the play is. Also checks its not the actually box make sure you mark the positioning of any linkage prior to removal aswell.

new rubber can ve bought from most exhaust places, ebay think demon tweak do some aswell if jot try cbsonline.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »
Gearstick rebuild kit is £20 from the dealer with trade discount
Gear change finger and rubber block is £15 from the dealer with trade discount (the bit you can see if you look at the selector rod before it goes into the box, will have a square looking rubber on the top
worth a shot, doing mine when i do my clutch
Taylor

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:35 am »
also check the condition of the rubber bush the rod goes through coming out of the box the bottom of the gearstick sits in

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
Is a loose gear linkage bad for the gearbox itself?

mine is very loose, it wobbles about in neutral.
but shifting was never really a problem, sometimes a bit harch but nothing worrying (for my feeling)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:30:19 pm »
IIRC you can solve that loose linkage by crimping the metal housing to stop the movement.

Offline C20YOB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:17:53 pm »
Clutch is off to get resintered - £90. Delighted. Cheers for the advise.

As for the linkage, I'm going to tackle it tonight n see how I get on.

Will let you know.

Cheers,

Duncan

Offline C20YOB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »
Clutch is in and box is on. Crimped the square bit around the ball on the gearlinkage and seems alot better.

I would like to put new bushes on it though (gear stick is fine). I've looked about on ebay for gear repair kit but see what i'm looking for. Is the bit I'm after in the pic below? i.e. the plastic bush in the bottom hole of the ''8''?

Should the we finger bit, that sits in there, come out easily, as it does. So think this may need replaced? Or tapped up maybe?

If someone could show me a link on ebay or something i'd be greatful?

Cheers,

Duncan

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:13:57 am »
Mine comes out easy as well. Popped out when driving once which was annoying. I have just loctite mine back in place and has been fine since then. I got a spare linkage as well incase i get problems.