Author Topic: Trigger wheel interchangability - early mech engine w/ leccy ignition  (Read 1857 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
I've got an old mech head engine out of my golf and a full K03 setup knocking about, so been thinking about bolting the turbo setup to the golf lump.

obviously the mech headed engines came with condensor/points based distributors, these can be upgraded to a distributor with a hall sender (from a SEAT) and the late mk2 ignition setup (that used for bike carb conversions) can be used to convert the early engines to electronic ignition.

I know that the GT/G40 and AB coded dizzys have a different trigger wheel spacing to that of the other polo distributors.

I know its possible to swap dizzy trigger wheels (ive seen it done of golf distributors), my question is

a) has anyone done this before
b) in order for G40 ecu not to get the hump, is it wiser to swap the trigger wheel for that from a G40 dizzy, or should I retain the associated trigger wheel which matches my engine.

thoughts on a postcard please - im not too fussed if the engine dies, it was due to go to the scrapyard anyway and im not short of cars to stick it in

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Trigger wheel interchangability - early mech engine w/ leccy ignition
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:31:28 pm »
Yes you can do it- and you will need the G40 trigger for correct dwell/speed feedback to the ECU.

Why can't you run a full G40 setup?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:26:28 pm »
awesome sauce, that's this weekends plan of action sorted!

I do have a few PY lumps, built up and in bits, but I'd rather just have a play with the golfs lump thats been knocking about for a while, no sweat if it goes boom either.

Cheers yoofington

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »
I think you'll also need the hall sender from the G40 dizzy.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:59 pm »

I do have a few PY lumps, built up and in bits, but I'd rather just have a play with the golfs lump thats been knocking about for a while, no sweat if it goes boom either.

The 1272cc GF engines fitted in mk1 Drivers were 8.0:1 Compression ratio iirc. As were the 895cc HA lumps.

Reckon you could break 300mph on the salt flats with an 895cc VW lump saf?

:D

Intrigued by your intrigue! ;)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:30:35 am »
haha. :)

hows your projects going dude, still never got round to fitting that strut brace yet, the cars too low on 14s and im not brave enough, twats off enough stuff. you thought about making a sump guard or undertray for the mk1s yet?

yoof - just a thought, if you were asking why i couldnt use the full g40 setup as in use the full g40 distributor, they have different drives

Offline willsalter1000

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:52:10 pm »
You want the dizzy from the early GK engines which run dignition, basically a GT/G40 dizzy with the early head fitment/drive, There is also a similar dizzy from one on the big block 16v engines, although im not sure of the trigger wheel spacing on that one.

Like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk2-Golf-1-8-16v-Jetta-Corrado-1-8-16v-Distributor-/261150154973?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item3ccdc320dd

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:54:19 pm by willsalter1000 »