Author Topic: What clutch to use?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
What clutch to use?
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:43:34 pm »
Was just wondering what would be the most appropriate clutch to use for 180bhp? Tried searching for info on what clutches people used and all i can see is a helix paddle clutch which is definately out of my budget :(

Anything else?

What about this:

http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/G40+Power+Clutch+Kit+LUK.htm

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: What clutch to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »
that's just a normal LUK G40 clutch as far as I can see.  Should be fine, just wont last as long with that power as it would on one with less power.  I'd either use standard or pay for a helix.  You don't want a paddle clutch if it's a daily driver though.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:26 pm »
Oh right, it will be used as a daily driver so what would you recommend thats uprated but not a paddle clutch?

Cheers

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:08 pm »
I drove my g40 with a helix paddle clutch daily until i took it off the road and never had an issue

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:32 am »
I would just use a standard clutch or pay the money for a helix organic (which is pretty much the same price as a paddle but more forgiving for daily road use).  There's no way I'd ever put a paddle clutch in any car I was using every day.  I just prefer comfort in my old age!  I don't mess with the suspension on my daily drivers either.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:16 am »
Cheers for the advice :)

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:28:18 am »
Hayesy. I see above you recommend a standard (which has worked with my power) or a Helix organic clutch. Here's a quick link to my last dyno run:

http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9438.msg69172#msg69172 (somewhere down this page, the accidentally labelled HZ cam run)

I have decent power. My engine is now in bits, forged rods are going in, crank's been balanced, already 1341 forged pistons etc etc.. Also got the gearbox apart and putting my Quaife ATB in to stop the dyno wheelspin which caused the dip on the above dyno run and raising doubts.

I have discovered that the flywheel had a pretty standard looking Valeo clutch on it and it has never slipped but it is cracking around the splines. My man reckons it may be an uprated Valeo clutch (as been so good) if such a thing exists . Anyway, my point is it looks like nothing special and it has never slipped and the car has some serious torque, it just pulls all over the road with the open diff when changing into 3rd even. I'm worried that with the ATB en situ that this traction loss will convert back to the clutch when gained at the wheels? You seem like a well seasoned enough guy to be asking.

I don't know what the pressure plate is I'm using but I'm thinking of just buying the Helix Organic plate:

http://www.performanceclutch.co.uk/13ltr-g40-1987-1994/70-4719-vw-polo-fast-road-clutch-1988297-233202-582515.php

I'm with the thinking that as the Valeo doesn't slip when aerodynamic downforce is greatest (to aid traction) in 4th / 5th at high speed, that the Helix will suffice also? I've even considered just buying another Valeo as it has really coped with this power well, despite the cracks appearing around the splines. Thing is the Helix is solid around the splines which is an attraction and may avoid this.

I don't want a nasty paddle clutch, I drive this car around the lakes with flowery cushions in the back window and keep it looking like grandma's car. I want it to still drive like grandma's when it's not on boost too  :)

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:32:06 pm »
Sorry to revive this...

Im after the Helix Clutch.

Now I have never had to change a clutch in any of my previous cars before, can I get away with just the clutch or do I have to go for the flywheel ect too? If so I will get it lightened whilst im at it.

Bit of a noob question I know.

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:12 pm »
Nevermind my stupid question.

Probably end up getting one from awesome unless anyone knows a better place?

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »
What do you mean go for the flywheel too? You might aswell get it lightened when you're whipping off the box anyway.

Get the helix paddle or organic clutch from helix motorsport direct :) At least look at them and compare their prices.

I now have a helix paddle. Pretty stiff like most people said and puts a strain on the pedal box, which I've already had to get welded. The organic one is apparently better for everyday use. I assume the clutch plate doesn't require the same effort to release. I only have the paddle because I will be running well over 200bhp...

Adrian

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:51 am »
Its sorted now cheers :)

Flywheel will be off to get lightened, Helix is on order (get trade discount) but its down to the wire wheter it will be on for the ring!