Author Topic: rough start up breakthrough for dk and spaniel  (Read 19225 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: rough start up breakthrough for dk and spaniel
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 08:41:28 pm »
gas analyser is the answer fo shooooo

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 11:53:59 pm »
ok fingers crossed for sure....how do you set the co pot to match the gas analyser?  is it simply a case of screwing it until the emissions lower or something?  mine too is set at around 550 ohms and i noticed the problem after the decat was fitted so it hasnt been adjusted to accomodate modifications at all.  Im happy with the timing on mine but like mentioned the co pot is just  at its recommended base setting...

god i hope its this!!!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 11:58:09 pm »
i have the mutimeter at the ready... :-X

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 11:51:01 am »
you need to take it to a garage with a gas analyser and they'll know what it should be set to.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 12:22:47 pm »
im just gonna play with it and see what happens when i adjust it. then get it set up properly

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 01:25:27 pm »
adjusted it to various readings and kept trying it but it made no difference whatsoever to the behaviour of the car..the blue emperature sensor being warmed is the only way to stop it doing it..if you plug a spare in which has been warmed the stuttering/missfire stops.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 03:45:11 pm »
Car's not overfueling/misfiring. When thermostat opens , ECU is driving revs down and knock sensor is rescuing a stall by backing off the timing. Regular"chug" effect. I've got nothing to prove here, only telling you what helped me although as stated previously I'm not exactly sure why. Fire up from cold and before thermostat opens disconnect blue sender for abot 30 secs then re-connect. Seems to make the sender compatible with the ECU. What you got to lose?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 04:16:45 pm »
you're wasting your time trying to do it by ear Dan, you need to get it on a gas analyser to monitor the CO levels, seriously, there's no way of properly DIY'ing it.  But 550-ish ohms usually works.  Setting it to that shouldn't be causing any problems.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 04:22:16 pm »
changing the CO will not be fixing the problem, more masking the consequences.

Gas analyser is needed. Most places will do it for a drink

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 06:02:09 pm »
you're wasting your time trying to do it by ear Dan, you need to get it on a gas analyser to monitor the CO levels, seriously, there's no way of properly DIY'ing it.  But 550-ish ohms usually works.  Setting it to that shouldn't be causing any problems.

yes but adjusting it to various different readings should give some indication of improvements which it didnt..the idea was to see if it would improve and then get it on an analyzer and then set it up exactly..i dont have access to an analyser right at this very moment...

anyway it made no difference whatsoever what ever setting i put it at really..not noticably so i set it back to 600 Ohms or 550 i cant remember now but around the level it was originally.

its defo not got anything to do with the co pot..

i tried it low around 200, 250, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 850, 900, 1000, 1050, 1100, 1150 and so on upto around 1800.  you would expect some change at some point if it was this sensor...it didnt and neither did dk's as far as i know which was set up with an analyser.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:11:47 pm by supercharged spaniel »

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 06:05:53 pm »
Car's not overfueling/misfiring. When thermostat opens , ECU is driving revs down and knock sensor is rescuing a stall by backing off the timing. Regular"chug" effect. I've got nothing to prove here, only telling you what helped me although as stated previously I'm not exactly sure why. Fire up from cold and before thermostat opens disconnect blue sender for abot 30 secs then re-connect. Seems to make the sender compatible with the ECU. What you got to lose?

hmmm i dont really understand what this will do?  even if you take another sensor in your hand that has been cooled in water and plug that in to the loom it starts to miss fire even if you have driven the car all day long so was well warmed..but what it should really do is just raise the revs as it would on cold start. Unplugging the sensor as its missfiring/overfuelling completly though does nothing it just continues to do it..  im starting to loose heart in this now and think stuff it!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:16:59 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 06:19:10 pm »
i'd start checking the loom now!!!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 06:27:39 pm »
ive checked mate visualy and i cant see owt on first looking..ive looked right along the loom of the blue sensor and nothing apparent is visible...i think i need to leave it for now and come back to it another time when i have a little faith...and inspiration of course ha ha.  how would you go about checking the loom exactly properly with a multimeter?

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »
You need to get a multimeter in ohm mode and check the pins from the sensor to the corresponding pins at the ecu connnector. Resistance should be very little (but not zero), if it's noticably higher between then there maybe a break in the wire. Some multimeters have a continuity test function with a beep or buzz.

Did you check that earth point that people have mentioned ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 08:07:41 pm »
yep, visual check not good enough.  Check out the ECU connector pin out thingy in the FAQ section.