Author Topic: Starting issue  (Read 960 times)

Offline krazy*k

• Members
Starting issue
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »
Me again :) G has been running sort of ok since its been in but i have one problem which I'm sure you guys will be able to help with.

When the G is cold its starts a treat but once its been driven and warms up when i go to start it, it takes ages to start sometimes the battery light will stay on so i just give it a little bit of throttle and the light goes out. I have also noticed ( easier when its dark) that the battery light flickers this is very occasional tho, my digital clock also resets itself i sat watching it the other day and it reset itself 3 times when the car was running.

We have checked the battery and all seems fine even tested it when starting the car with the multimeter

Cheers in advance :)

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: Starting issue
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:10:35 pm »
You can rule out the battery by using jump leads from another car so start it when it's warm. The battery light staying on after starting and going off with a little blip of throttle is a bit of a G40 foible.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Re: Starting issue
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:05 pm »
sounds like alternator to me! the D+ is excited by the bulb in the dials- if its a poor circuit then a blip of the throttle will send the voltage through to excite the D+

you can check this by crudely putting a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to a bulb - then from the bulb to the D+ wire on the alternator.

id start after this cleaning up the contacts on the alternator- the connector at the inlet manifold and the fuse to the dials in the fusebox