Author Topic: polo g40  (Read 5456 times)

Offline dubmanic

• Members
polo g40
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:22:13 pm »
hi newbie here,got myself a tornado red g40 at the weekend.its got a jabba sport charger,ind kit,and st-steel exhaust cat back,ive been reading some owners been fitting 51mm throttle bodys,what do these throttle bodys come off?my mate has a vw breakers so getting the part be easy(thats if its vw part!)and does anybody have the part number?also whats the best inlet manifold?my mate had a g40 years back,he fitted a gt manifold,is there any other polo manifolds that give better power than g40 std ones?any help will be grateful.cheers daveby be way pic of my g40.

Offline Gary

• Members
  • just one last thing....
Re: polo g40
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »
51mm throttle body is just a standard g40 one bored out with the wedges removed from the butterfly. Pitstop used to sell these, but the company is no more.

A Port matched GT throttle body is better than a standard G40 one, altho they can be dificult to get...

Nice G btw!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:32:34 pm »
gt inlet manifolds are bigger bore.

as for exhaust manifolds the normal ones are good till about 150bhp. then stainless big bore ones from polo performance parts are good (same as pitstop used to do)

pete

Offline dubmanic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:39:23 pm »
gt inlet manifolds are bigger bore.

as for exhaust manifolds the normal ones are good till about 150bhp. then stainless big bore ones from polo performance parts are good (same as pitstop used to do)

pete
cheers chaps 4 the answers to then questions.if i de-wedge the butterfly,are the wedges screwed on to the butterfly,and if so do i have to fill in the holes left over?i sound like a div :D.just new to the 40 always had g60`s

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:07:26 pm »
if you remove the wedges, then yes you'll need to fill the holes, some people use rivets, but unless they are solid reaction type rivets then you'll be safer fitting some small nut and bolt combination(loctite a must on these).
51mm throttle body works well on GT manifold set-up, but you'll see little benifit from it until your into the higher RPM's, once at this stage then you can look at smaller pully's, headflowing, cam's, injectors, FMIC etc
Don't forget your brakes, suspension and gearbox too!! ;)

Offline dubmanic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:16:59 pm »
if you remove the wedges, then yes you'll need to fill the holes, some people use rivets, but unless they are solid reaction type rivets then you'll be safer fitting some small nut and bolt combination(loctite a must on these).
51mm throttle body works well on GT manifold set-up, but you'll see little benifit from it until your into the higher RPM's, once at this stage then you can look at smaller pully's, headflowing, cam's, injectors, FMIC etc
Don't forget your brakes, suspension and gearbox too!! ;)
im a engineer by trade so i will tig weld the holes up,ive got a piper cam and other mods on it already,done by previous owner,im going to look at the brakes,a bit scrarey at the present.ive also got a eaton m45,im planing to fit soon.any ideas on how?ive put a post in the supercharger section already.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:22 pm »
TIG'ing them up is a good idea, just remember to refit the butterfly in the right orientation to match the tapers on the throttle body, while its out for welding make a pattern of the holes ready to fab up a larger 51mm butterfly.

Offline dubmanic

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:23:39 pm »
TIG'ing them up is a good idea, just remember to refit the butterfly in the right orientation to match the tapers on the throttle body, while its out for welding make a pattern of the holes ready to fab up a larger 51mm butterfly.
whats the diam of a std g40 throttle body?also iv got a piper 270 cam,are they a good cam for this
 engine?

Offline G40DAS

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:34:38 pm »
Hi, as I've just made a new butterfly at work for my G40, I know my standard throttle body is Ø45mm.
I didn't fancy having scary rivets in the inlet tract when "dewedged". I'm sure there are some people who are happy with the rivets, I couldn't bring myself to do it !
Careful welding of the holes sounds like a good plan though.
Anyone out there tried flatting the spindle too to increase the area a bit more ? If so, how thin can you get away with ? I thought maybe 6mm might be OK with loctited and centre-punched screws. You could always leave the spindle at standard size just around the screw holes so the screw engagement isn't affected.
Can't help on the cam, no experience of that.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 09:33:30 am »
I think the 51mm throttle body peteg40 has, has had the spindle machined down a bit but only in the middle and not where the screws are.  I've used liquid metal to fill up the holes in my standard sized de-wedged throttle plate.