Author Topic: Stripped thread in charger - Options? - Advice please  (Read 2274 times)

Offline xrrich

• Members
Stripped thread in charger - Options? - Advice please
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:52 pm »
Hi, Unfortunately i have stripped the thread in my charger, it is the m10x1 hole (oil drain?)

Has anyone had any experience with this and what are my options?

I have done research about - 

1. Longer banjo bolt - ( as only the first half of the thread is damaged, but slandered bolt doesn't reach the bottom of the hole, the original is 18mm long so could go for something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-x-1-0-Metric-Stainless-Steel-Banjo-Bolt-24mm-Long-/160884768905?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25757ac089)

2. Helicoil - (not keen on this idea because heard a lot of helicoils related to oil tend to leak and are seen as a "pikey" repair that is temporary?

3. Re tapping to the next size banjo m12x1? (will this affect the oil pressures or the amount of oil fed to the bearings?)

I do have a spare casing but its not ported so wanted to save my original thread if possible.

Can anyone help me out

Thankyou

Rich  :) 

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Stripped thread in charger - Options? - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:13:24 am »
I have used helicoils in oil feeds before to quite good effect-its not somethign that you constantly do/undo and they aren't under any real torque or load.  So the drain should be fine. 

If it fails when removing a bolt, just whack a new insert in (or I've put a tiny bit of jb weld on the outside of the insert instead of loctite to make it more permanent).

Timeserts are more permanent helicoil - but got to watch how much meat there is to go wider... its not huge on the drain.

The bigger banjo - potentially it may drain too much??? and you have to get a different drain etc... plus there;s not much meat to go wider.

Offline xrrich

• Members
Re: Stripped thread in charger - Options? - Advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:06:19 pm »
Thankyou pete