Author Topic: Exhaust mani to down pipe bolt  (Read 1567 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Exhaust mani to down pipe bolt
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »
Evening all,

It appears my exhaust manifold has not been touched in years. Which means for 2 nights I have wrestled to get the bolts unseized and off.

I am left with one single bolt that refuses to shift, it's one of the 4 bolts holding the exhaust manifold and down pipe together. Problem is, it's now a tad rounded. Anyone got any tips? I am on the brink of selling up and taking model railways as a hobby

Cheers

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Exhaust mani to down pipe bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:38:24 am »
Assuming you've already given it a good soaking in Plusgas (better than wd40), then get some heat into it.  Ideally oxy-acetalene but assuming you don't have that at home, a normal blow-torch is better than nothing.  Try to get it as hot as possible.  If it's badly rounded off then hammering on a smaller socket is worth a try.

Absolute last resort would be to remove the exhaust manifold from the head (although chances are, at least one of those studs will break), separate the downpipe from the exhaust and remove the whole lot from the car.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:37:50 pm »
dont sell up mate, it will all be worth it in the end :)
i had the same problem as you, ended up snapping it, so bought a new manifold, doesnt fit. decided to bite the bullet and buy ppp for £800
basicly, if you snap that one £10 stud, it will cost you £800
Taylor

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »
Alright pal, I conquered it a couple hours ago. 4/6 bolts in the manifold snapped. Managed to get all but one out. I would love to get my mits on the ppp manifold. But the life of a self funded student doesn't leave much.