Author Topic: g40 back box.  (Read 13223 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
g40 back box.
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:34:41 pm »
im planning on buying a new vag back box at the crazy price they are but want a genuine one.  anyway, anyone got any pics of strengthening the rear support?  mine looks as though someone has repaired it previously as its obviously snapped as they do, but now has two hooks into the support block, welded on.  they look a bit weak now and i wouldnt be surprised if they die on my quite soon.  as a new back box is gonna be put on it'd be a good time to put something better in place into the existing block.

what have you lads done?  if anything?is there another way to support the back box?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:35:23 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »
as its you dan - i'd suggest looking at ETKA and see if there isnt a repair panel part for that bit - wouldnt surprise me if there was!!

pete

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:00:36 pm »
ha.  actually there is.  just looked and it seems its only about 10 quid too???  will it be welded on?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:33:38 pm »
[quote pid=29 author=supercharged spaniel date=1204477236]ha.  actually there is.  just looked and it seems its only about 10 quid too???  will it be welded on?[/quote]

ye - probably will - grind off underseal, spot weld, then seal again with some underseal gunk - vw probably do that too!!!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »
ill buy the part, strengthen it like you did with a bar across, get it powder coated and then get it spot welded in and stone chip sealed.  i bought some vw stuff and its basically shutz, and is used for the sills to give them the 'blackness' on the gt's/g40's  its not paint on the sills as far as i can tell but sealer, thats what i was told anyway.  not sure if you can buy the rubber compound sealant they use for the underside though ive trawled etka but never found it yet.  anyway you can buy black rubber stone chip from most paint like places i would have thought and it should be spot on!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:23:25 am »
might not weld the best if coated mate - need clean bare metal to bare metal..

mine was strenghtened with a metal triangle between the hanger and the base of the hook. planning on that mod on new g40 - when its on the road

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »
well funny but my mate is making me a bracket like on picture, basically a piece of metal that bolts to the existing body, and then 2 hooks to clip the rubbers on, they will be some rod bent to shape, hopefully be done by weekend...

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:13 pm »
get some pics up knight.  will these be bolted to the existing block that the hooks snap off?

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:53:33 pm »

something like this?  a metal plate with some beefy hooks welded on (beeffier than in my cad drawing)  a hole for the rubber buffer to come through, and two ataching bolt holes which can be drilled into existing bracket shown in blue.  no need for welding the car just bolt on (proper bolts not screws as shown).  seal it up and it can be removed if need be.  i might look into getting some of these made at some point if there was enough interest and get them powder coated.  could even have the holes on the metal plate elongated for adjustment left or right?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:54:20 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 07:16:02 pm »
my picture is up there>>> lol

yeah your design is similar ot mine, the biggest problem is you need round hangers or rubbers will sheer, and that thing in middle, id just get rid, or if need be drill a hole to fit it as its fitted to the upper bit, saves loosing the strength...

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 07:33:39 pm »
no i meant picture when its done sorry.  i just did that cad drawing after i read yours.  as i interpreted what you wrote and the image you put up.  the hooks, yeah i agree but they were just easier to do on cad lol,  but like you said they would have to be smooth.  something like this would work though wouldnt it?

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:03:58 pm »
once i get it done and tested i will report back! :D

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g40 back box.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:27:13 pm »
[quote pid=85 author=DKnight date=1204574638]once i get it done and tested i will report back! :D[/quote]

yeah brilliant, i'd defo be interested in something!