Author Topic: Headlight Problem  (Read 6499 times)

Offline jooshy63

• Members
Headlight Problem
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »
Right so basically, after doing the engine swap from the GT to G40, I originally ran my HID's.
A month after I'd done the swap, only one headlight seemed to work on main beam. Both sidelights work fine and full beam seems to be working too.
 I just can't seem to find the problem, I've replaced the bulb, checked the plug in which the bulb goes into, I just don't know what else to check now.

Any answers?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Headlight Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »
Don't they have some sort of transformer for each light to get the voltage up? Could it be one of them is dead? Ballast springs to mind, although what it does or how it works is beyond me (I've never read up on it anyway)

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:14:51 pm »
No worries, read a similar topic what someones posted on here recently and it answered my query.

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:32:20 am »
i have a MK2 Polo GT and was wondering what HID will fit into it? will the hi/lo hid h4 fit straight in? and also what sidelight bulbs do they take :s they dont take the 501 sidelight bulbs? and the interior light bulb? i wanna know what that is aswell? cheers!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »
Get an uprated headlight loom and some decent bulbs. Trust me it's all you need.

HIDs look shite in non projector headlamps, they're coming onto the MOT tester radar this year and they dazzle other drivers too.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:17:09 pm »
What he said ^ I always thought projector lamps/ HID's were illegal unless they had a self levelling mechanism in them. You may find they'll become an MOT fail and a constant source of attention from Police.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »
The wording of the new MOT rules is a bit ambiguous to be honest, and I know HID sellers will say it's perfectly legal to fit their kits. But they would, and they're hardly going to tell people that they're flogging something that's a bit sketchy on the legality front, and dazzles other road users.

I hate them (the kits, that is, not the HID sellers)

But you'd probably find on something like, say, a Passat where it's possible that it could've had them as standard that they'd be less likely to look out for an aftermarket kit. Rock up with a Polo that never would've had them, and even has the wrong headlamps, and you're asking for problems IMHO.

Though like all things it depends on your MOT tester. Jobsworth testers willl probably take one look, spot the aftermarket ballasts and fail the car straight away. But then they're easy to take out for the MOT.

Personally I'm quite happy they're clamping down. I do a lot of night time driving and I hate getting dazzled by naff aftermarket HID systems in cars which blatantly shouldn't have them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:21:05 pm by Alex »

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:33 pm »
Off the topic of headlights a little bit.

But on the motor way back from nottingham, there was a nissan navana infront of me. A police car pulled passed in the third lane as i was indicating to move out to overtake the nissan.

Once the police car pulled passed me and the nissan it suddenly slowed down and pulled into the first lane, I instantly thought he was going to take another look at my polo and pull me over, But infact the led scroll board in the back of the car started saying ( Turn fogs off) to the nissan, he must have been half asleep because he didnt turn them off. The board did this another two times and then they pulled him over.

Fogs arent supposed to be used unless its foggy and the police around me are going mad on it at the moment. To be honest im with Alex on this i hat HID's as in the wrong lenses and wrong angle they art too bloody bright. If they are behind i make a point of slowing down so they have to overtake me because i cant stand the glare in my mirrors.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:05:01 pm »
I agree with the pair of you. They're only driving lights if they run off the same switch as the headlights and turn on/off with them and are not independantly controlled.

Unfortunately now most new cars have them on as standard, I noticed all the VW's we've had into work have had them and seen the majority of new cars headlights go on automatically on start-up. I think they were trying to change the law in Europe to make them mandatory but there was an outcry from motorcyclists claiming they wouldn't be highlighted as much. That was about 4 years ago when I read that in bike or Ride, I forget which. They don't tend to make stuff up either so I guess the law has maybe now come into play?

However, if he wants to put HID's on then now's the time to do it, for the few months it'll be allowed! :/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:07:47 pm by ereeiz »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 09:29:00 pm »
It's only daytime running lights that'll be a requirement - however lots of cars these days have automatic headlights which may explain what you're saying?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »
From experience of the latest VW hire cars at work (Polos, Golfs, the odd Passat - usually mid trim) is that the dipped beam headlights come on with the ignition day or night - appears to be a cheap fix to the daytime running light requirement.

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31:07 pm »
what uprated headlight loom can i use for better bulbs for my gt? cheers!!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 12:46:40 am »

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
cheersss bud! :D