Author Topic: Clutch woes  (Read 1209 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Clutch woes
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:09:20 am »
Ola,

Well the g40 turdblow is running quite well but I've started to have clutch probs of late.

First off the clutch pedal was very stiff and the biting point was practically on the floor.

Got a new clutch cable and noticed the bulkhead was rusting, so got a repair plate and just bolted it in as a temporary measure.

Tightened the clutch cable up and it was a bit better for a few days, but would catch on gearchanges and eventually became impossible to change gear without turning the engine off getting a gear and turning the car back on, even foot to the floor on the clutch, the car was still pulling forward.

So today whipped the gearbox off and replaced the helix organic clutch and pressure plate and replaced with a new helix paddle clutch and pressure plate. Refitted it all and my biting point is restored and clutch pedal feel is lovely again.

Forgot to fit the brand new vag release bearing, well gutted haha.

Anyway after fiddling with the gear linkage for what feels like an eternity I can finally get all 5 gears and reverse, however the car crunches when going into reverse and going into 3rd and 5th sometimes catches.

One point to note, I changed the gearbox selector seal and bush a few months ago and drained the box oil and filled up with VW gear oil. Now I'm not 100 percent certain that I've fully got all 3.1 litres in the box, so I'm going to top it up asap until tHe oil runs out the fill hole.

Anyway what Id like to know is what's the likely cause of gearbox crunches? Too low oil level? Worn synchros? Other reasons?

Also the clutch and pressure plate I took off look ok to the eye, was hoping they would look fecked as that would point me to a potential problem ( and resolution by changing the clutch ) maybe the fingers on the pressure plate had weakend.

Ps. I really hope no one says this could be clutch release bearing related cos I'll cry haha.

Ta muchly.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Clutch woes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:24:10 am »
Sounds like your linkage is t spot on to me only way to know for sure is to take it to vw and have them set there linkage on  there jig,or keep fiddiling with it untill you grt all gears sweetly ,but it make take a long time to get it perfect.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:34:48 pm »
Will have another play at the weekend me thinks. VW are a no go as they didn't have 5 speed mk1s from the factory ( well not with the small block linkage anyway )

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:05:13 am »
Ola,

Well the g40 turdblow is running quite well but I've started to have clutch probs of late.

First off the clutch pedal was very stiff and the biting point was practically on the floor.

Got a new clutch cable and noticed the bulkhead was rusting, so got a repair plate and just bolted it in as a temporary measure.

Tightened the clutch cable up and it was a bit better for a few days, but would catch on gearchanges and eventually became impossible to change gear without turning the engine off getting a gear and turning the car back on, even foot to the floor on the clutch, the car was still pulling forward.

So today whipped the gearbox off and replaced the helix organic clutch and pressure plate and replaced with a new helix paddle clutch and pressure plate. Refitted it all and my biting point is restored and clutch pedal feel is lovely again.

Forgot to fit the brand new vag release bearing, well gutted haha.

Anyway after fiddling with the gear linkage for what feels like an eternity I can finally get all 5 gears and reverse, however the car crunches when going into reverse and going into 3rd and 5th sometimes catches.

One point to note, I changed the gearbox selector seal and bush a few months ago and drained the box oil and filled up with VW gear oil. Now I'm not 100 percent certain that I've fully got all 3.1 litres in the box, so I'm going to top it up asap until tHe oil runs out the fill hole.

Anyway what Id like to know is what's the likely cause of gearbox crunches? Too low oil level? Worn synchros? Other reasons?

Also the clutch and pressure plate I took off look ok to the eye, was hoping they would look fecked as that would point me to a potential problem ( and resolution by changing the clutch ) maybe the fingers on the pressure plate had weakend.

Ps. I really hope no one says this could be clutch release bearing related cos I'll cry haha.

Ta muchly.

hi bud, where did you get the gearbox selector seal and bush from? mine is shredded on my GT! :(
if you could help i'd be sooo thankful!!!!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:06 am »
vw or gsf