Author Topic: Oil consumption and finding oil leaks  (Read 3674 times)

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
Re: Oil consumption and finding oil leaks
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 10:50:19 pm »
i had loads of problems with my t-piece leaking like you wouldn't believe. i used PTFE on it and some blue sealer and it was ok in the end.

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 10:35:41 am »
I have finally found where mine is leaking oil...

Its coming out the body of the brown sensor, took me ages to find it, i always thought it was coiming out the thread as it wasnt sealing, but last night i blasted it with water while the engine was running and bang.... oil leak appears from the sensor body. So happy and ordered a new one today :)

Cleaning the engine up helpped loads too as i could see fresh oil runs. brake cleaner and wheel cleaner work a treat :)

Hope your is as easy fix.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »
Drove the car up to the garage today, first test since I tightened the boost hose and intercooler top bolt earlier this week. The boost leak is gone, that's a good start.

But it stinks of oil!

Popped the bonnet straight away and there was oil glistening all over the area around the oil pressure gauge T-piece, and it seems to be running down the back of the head and dripping down the front of the gearbox. So that should be an easy fix unless another leak raises its ugly head.

CV joint is scrap though.  :D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »
Rocker cover gasket isn't available from VW any more apparently, though.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
My spare wasn't leaking when I changed to a new one, let me know if it's needed.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 10:09:18 am »
What about heritage VW or whatever, tried them? I see that and another site mentioned a lot for awkward/ expensive parts

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 11:41:24 am »
bga do one on ebay...

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »
I don't know whether it's been changed or not yet, I said if one didn't turn up to just leave it and I'd find a proper one on eBay or something. It's not hard to change.

Other problems are all sorted by the way. CV joint smelled of burnt grease apparently, but the oil leak was all down to the T-piece for the oil pressure gauge sender and the intercooler bolts are fine. Just the top one was loose.

Means I could've managed a few extra laps at Blyton the other week if I'd looked a bit harder, but it's not really worth chancing.