Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
What would you do?
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
I want a black G40. I used to have one (my first) and I loved it, whilst I like grey (current one) I keep wanting a black one.

I'd sell mine/ break it if I thought I could shift it quickly (can't be arsed with months of stuff being dragged on and on) but from what I've seen there doesn't appear to be many sold. I'd then buy a black one (which I'm in no rush to do as I have an Ibiza as a daily....for now).

Mine's got a few worn parts on it, the majority (if not all) of the bits needed/ upgrades are at home ready to go on but I'm lacking enthusiasm. It's not the first time this has happened and won't be the last, I'm sure!

I know I could fix mine up and get it resprayed, but I've always been wary of doing anything irreversable to the car as it's an original.

I don't really know what to do, in an ideal world I'd px mine for a black one, but if you're selling up then you're not interested in buying another are you?! (unless it's me of course, haha).

Anyone got any ideas/ suggestions?

Also, don't really have anywhere to work on it properly. Still hunting for a unit locally, but they're MEGA bucks from what I've seen :(
I was planning on moving house to somewhere with a garage so I could just get on with it but I've been let down by a couple of mates.... still have a couple of months on my tenancy though so this plan is still a go-er if I can find somewhere.

Any advice?? I'm great at giving it but not so good at listening to my own, haha.

edit; My own advice to me would be to sell the lot and not bother buying another (head) but I fucking love the 3-4th gear acceleration and still miss it 6months on! (heart) It genuinly does cheer me up and make me happy when I drive it too, which I've only really had in a coupld of motors (and I've owned in excess of 50 in ten years or so).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:30:25 am by ereeiz »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:28 am »
does the colour of the car really mean that much to you? 

Do you think you'll actually have more motivation if you got a black one than you do with a grey one?

It sounds like you want rid really...

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »
i dont this already lol... moved from red one now to black...
but i actually like grey more now ..

but i miss the red..

Never Happy! ... and my daily is an ibiza also but my G hasn't seen the road in many years

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:57 pm »
It's more the fact that it'd be new to me. the colour does bug me to be honest, I wanted a grey one and a black one, but thought I'd go for grey as I hadn't had one before, now that I have it I can't help but wish I'd gone for black. I kinda bought this one on a whim (I've not regretted it though) as it was low miles and only 10 miles away. Apart from the LHD genesis and one white one sometime last year I've not seen another G round here.

I have ummed and arr'd over it for a few months and am at the point of injecting a lot of money into it to bring it back up to a good standard, but if I do then that'll be it for me, I'd never sell it as I would never get the money back from it that I'd put into it. I'm not looking for an investment, but at the same time I don't want to piss money up the wall unnecesarily. I just want a quick road biased Polo that handles well and looks half decent. Doesn't help that I don't have any mates that are into dubs anymore, everyone's moved on and have other hobbies so my only inspiration is from you guys on here.

Tez if you fancy some sort of deal then let me know ;) lol

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:50:30 pm »
Tbh i would have, but i kinda bit the bullet and sent engine away and have ttly sanded the engine bay down now for respray..

The shell isn't the best as im going to start welding the sills on Monday.

If  you are going to inject money.. then why not consider a respray? change log sheet and you have yourself a  Black G40

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 01:02:20 pm »
i'd trade my red g40 for a grey one anyday!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »
I'll swap you then.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:58:59 pm »
LOL
club g40 swaps

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:21:36 pm »
I'll swap you then.

yours is a gt mate!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
I'll cut you a hole in the roof and put an ariel in. You'll never know.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 05:39:59 pm »
You had enough of pink oxide then Pete? ;)
Out of interest how much would a complete respray be? I've never done bodywork, mechanical/electrical stuff is easy enough but painting shit is witchcraft to me. I'd have thought I'd be looking in the region of £1k? It is beginning to get a little tatty in some places with a few dings and bubbles of rust here and there (shock, horror! It is it's 20th birthday on the 28th August though).

I was considering maybe just selling it and buying another, but then it's pretty worthless if the current prices are anything to go by, cost me £2k last March- can't see it being anywhere remotely near that in the current climate/ condition. ARGH!

Anyone around Worcester area that has a unit and wouldn't mind renting me some space then let me know. I'm still in limbo with what to do. Might just *gulp* pay to get it roadworthy (never had anyone work on any vehicle I've owned). Ironically I live right in front of a massive warehouse that converts VW vans to campers, but they're not interested, there isn't much VW community spirit round here anymore! :/

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »
Get Yoof's black G40 shell for free, and have a go at doing that up. If it comes good you can rob the running gear from your grey one - or more likely just build up the black one as a project bit by bit when parts come up cheaply.

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:23:57 am »
Full colour change on a car is expensive, if done properly!!!

Got to strip the car down completely then there is spraying the bay, underside and interior. Paint alone would be expensive

You would be looking at around the £2.5k plus depending on how much you do yourself and what kind of finish you want

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 11:06:35 am »
Although the above is very true if it was me I'd leave the bay grey. Unless your looking to take car to shows etc.

A spray shop around here could do a colour change for £1300 last time  a checked.
Including door and boot checks and colour coded plastics (on a civic)
But that was flat white (cellulous)