Author Topic: Epic Ratting  (Read 8720 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Epic Ratting
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »
My cars had a terrible rattle for a while now, I assumed it was the dash that was causing the noise which can only be described as a woodpecker on wood at both bottom corners of the windscreen. I took the dash out and the noise hasnt changed a beat. New top mounts struts wheel bearings and bushes didnt change the noise either. I now use headphones in the car as its annoying as fk! My next step is to check all things attached to the bulkhead to see if any of these items are loose. Has anyone had any similar issues?

Cheers

Etches

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: Epic Ratting
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:55 pm »
Grab everything you can and give it a good wobble. Also look for marks on stuff where it rubs up/ down

Offline g40will

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »
My bumper bar came lose and made horrible rattle all up the chassis legs took me ages to work it out

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »
Try the bonnet hindges!?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:35 am »
Right Its the batter rubbing on the bonnet hinge, I duct taped the hinge last night and its stopped the rattle but its on a short term fix. I'm going to get a new battery now

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:00:18 am »
I've change the battery to one which is smaller and its still making the noise, weird how duct tape solved the issue but now its gone back to the noise. How do you go about taking the hinge off bulk head side. Do you slip the holding pin off and the bolt stays on the bulkhead?

Offline old_school

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:22:03 pm »
i had this peoblem. it was 1 bolt on the bonnet hindge

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 05:53:42 pm »
Can the battery not shimmy up a little bit?  At least you've found the source!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »
All my bolts on the bonnet hinge are tight, the problem is that its had a new tray welded in previously (which has started to rust through already) the rear shelf doesnt actually provide a tight enough fit to clamp the battery down, plus the threaded bar at the front is so short that a clamp can't actually get on it (im just using a nut at the minute) . If i can get all that solved then it might be the bonnet hinge being bent again grrr

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 05:45:54 pm »
Re bumping this post as its still happening, I've shifted the battery now and found the source of the vibration. Jaime of clubpolo wrote this which I think describes the issue well;

I've had a rattle coming from the left side of my dash for yonks now and finally think i've worked it out . the left side of my bonnet ( nearest windscreen ) is a bit loose there for rattling the bonnet and pissing me reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet off lol. but its seems to be the mechanism what attaches under the bulkhead what is loose. Cant really see much but looks like's only a clip holding it on :S , its the Bent bit what attaches to the bonnet which allows it to swivvle up and down . How can i tighten this or stop the rattling .

Has anyone solved this problem?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 06:26:48 pm »
anyone?

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 07:53:23 pm »
This is exactly the problem i had.. I brought a new bonnet, took the hinge of, refitted it and seemed ok, Mabey its prone to coming loose? Try taking it off cleaning it up, wee bit of grease and refit.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »
I remember having this same problem for a long time and couldn't find what it was! I finally discovered that the hood bends slightly from slamming it or dropping it to close and the back of it hungs lower than what it should. The fix is to bend the hood backwards to where it sits properly. The way to do it is to put one hand at the front of it and the other at the middle across each side (one side at a time) and try to bend the mid section upwards! Dont force it too much cause they are as hard as butter! Hope what I describe makes sence to you!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:32 am »
This is exactly the problem i had.. I brought a new bonnet, took the hinge of, refitted it and seemed ok, Mabey its prone to coming loose? Try taking it off cleaning it up, wee bit of grease and refit.

Are you talking about taking the bonnet hinge off the car or just the two bolts off the bonnet? How did you remove it from the car if thats what your describing?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 08:37:43 am »
I remember having this same problem for a long time and couldn't find what it was! I finally discovered that the hood bends slightly from slamming it or dropping it to close and the back of it hungs lower than what it should. The fix is to bend the hood backwards to where it sits properly. The way to do it is to put one hand at the front of it and the other at the middle across each side (one side at a time) and try to bend the mid section upwards! Dont force it too much cause they are as hard as butter! Hope what I describe makes sence to you!

From the driver position it is obvious that the drivers side bonnet sits lower down than the passenger side. I shall see if I can re-adjust it and it makes any difference!