Author Topic: Starter  (Read 2632 times)

Offline rocore

• Members
Starter
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:06:03 pm »
Having a tiny issue starting... Battery has plenty of juice in it but it always sounds like it is struggling to start... turns over once or twice slowly then will start up easily.. Lazy starter motor maybe? But sometimes i notice that the dash clock will reset which makes me think there is some sort charge fault? Strange!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »
sounds like a battery/alternator issue to me!

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:43:38 pm »
Could be a leaking head gasket. Coolant can leak into the chambers when the engine is turned off (because the coolant remains under pressure), then it takes a couple of turns to expel the water/coolant from the cylinder on start up. You can test for it by letting the engine stand over night, removing all the spark plugs and turn it over, if it turns like normal from the start then I'd suspect the head gasket. If it does the same as it used to (only without firing up) then I'd rule the head gasket out and look at the starting/charging systems.

Offline rocore

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:51:15 pm »
Headgasket was done last week so i expect its the alternator not putting enough beanz back in the battery... i'll test it with the engine running to see what charge its kicking out!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 02:00:22 pm »
how do you know the battery has plenty of juice in it?

Offline rocore

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:42 pm »
tested it with multimeter... but alternator might not be charging correctly... need to test while cranking it over really.