Author Topic: Bit of Advice please.... Cylinder head...  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Weeman

• Members
Bit of Advice please.... Cylinder head...
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »
So been running my engine for a few weeks now and its starting to piss oil out the RHS of the head, between the head and block!

So I have a BVH sat at home that i bought to use the cam and valves out of as it has cracks between the valve seats so im unsure if its usable? Will get some pics tonight that will help show how small they are.

Does anyone have any idea if it would be ok to run as it is? Im thinking to just buy a new head gasket and swop heads over for now as a quick fix. Engine will be coming out in november anyway to get rebuilt over christmas.

Also, any ideas how my engine would run without getting it remapped? Current spec is below.

250cc Injectors
R1 Charger
Toothed belts
Standard intercooler
GT inlet manifold
Full PPP Manifold and exhaust.
SNS Stage 5 Chip

Car runs sweet now just leaks loads of oil when it gets hot.

Do you think it would run ok if i bolt my BVH (cant remember what the cam is) on or do you think i should really get it mapped?

If you think it should be mapped then id be tempted to just build a turbo and only pay for one lot of mapping if that makes sence.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Bit of Advice please.... Cylinder head...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »
it's actually quite rare to find g40 heads that haven't got some cracks in.  Usually between valve seats and spark plug holes.  Not just on polos either, common on loads and loads of cars.

It's really no problem as long as they are just small hair-line cracks.

As for power I'd say about 150bhp.

Should still run fine with BVH on it

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:59:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply, guess the only way to turely find out is to fit it and see what happens.

Best get me some head bolts and a gasket set ordered :)

As for power im not overly bothered by figures, just as long as it feels good and keeps on surprising people like it did on the way back from Awesome meet on sunday then im happy :)

Cheers :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:23 pm »
you could get it pressure tested too.  Any engine builders should be able to do it or recommend someone who can. 

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:10:17 pm »
Living in scarborough there isnt anyone near that does engine work, so it would cost me postage on the head to send it anywhere. i'll fit it and see how it goes, if it runs badly i'll just have my current one skimmed and refitted.

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 07:41:55 pm »
So got my head off today to see where the oil was coming from... All looked ok till I turn the head upside down, and other then oil going everywhere which I always forget about I found this:

Now I'm not bad with engines normally but what causes the valves to do that? I don't want to put my engine back together till I know its going to be fine.

Engine was running fine before I removed the head apart from the oil leak.

Any ideas?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »
what are you saying is bad? i thought white exhaust valves were ok? better then black, burning well with little arbon build up? i may be wrong

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »
I'm fully clued up on what should be what inside the engine. Altho you saying that does make me a bit happier. I would have always expected to see both valves in a blackish colour that's all.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:27:22 pm »
I think the White valves shows it running a tad on the hot side?
i do not want to fill your topic with i think and maybe's... but if you were to use valves in comparison to reading a Spark plug, White has always been in my head (not cylinder head) for being hot.

Now if this was the case this could be because of the fuel mixture running lean or too much Advanced ignition.

Now i hope someone else comments and takes charge here but thats my input.

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:04:11 pm »
Yeah this is my issue i'm not massively up on whats what running wise... i can build and engine not problem at all, but when it comes to bits like this im a little out my depth.

Also can anyone identify the cam i have from these numbers: 24401 with 641.03 underneath it. and it has L2 on there too. All these are on the dizzy end of the cam.

I have my new head fitted and it runs well, need to wash the block to remove the oil residue so i can see if it still leaks but all looking good so far! Just need to adjust the ignition timing, then run it in a bit before its on RR on saturday :)