Author Topic: k03 rebuild  (Read 4636 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
k03 rebuild
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:16 am »
Need to rebuild one of my turbos as i think an oil seals gone! Smokey smokey.....

Is it an easy job?

Is there anything else which has likely to have failed which will need replacing that will cause it to smoke?

Turbo isnt making the usual spooling noise and im not aware of any boost leaks.

cheers ;)

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: k03 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »
hey its an easy job to change you just have to mark the comp wheel and shaft so you put them back on the same place or it can cause vibration. one thing to look out for is when removing the comp nut is the thread LH /RH be carefull cos it doesnt take much to snap the shaft.
cleanlyness is the key to a turbo. the oil seail are just piston rings as such. just dont score any of the bearing or seal areas or it will just leak oil.

What colour smoke?

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »
 i have put a fault finding turbo chart up in the turbo bitty for you

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:57 pm »
i have put a fault finding turbo chart up in the turbo bitty for you

cheers chap ;)
Smokes white afaik (had a mate follow me) and the turbo spooling up sounds horrible.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »
White = water, so replacing turbo oil seals probably won't help much.

Have you removed the turbo to see if the water jacket has cracked? Water is helpful as it cleans as it leaks (like a steam cleaner) so upstream of the leak should be the usual sooty mess, downstream should be clean.

To check the water jacket on the turbo the easy way- remove the water lines to it, and take the car for a drive (no prolonged boosting) if there's no steam, there's your problem. If there is, then it's not you turbo leaking water.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »
Cheers Mr Yoof ;)

do i just bung the water lines with a couple of suitable bolts? Ive got a turbo & housing i can rebuild so not a problem. water level in the expansion tanks fine and oil levels ok (although im gonna change it as i think its way passed due!), car drives fine off boost so points me to the turbo. sound about right?

(i did wash the intercooler out with a tiny bit of wd40 and petrol but left it in the sun to drain and dry. could this moisture if there is any cause the issue?)