Author Topic: pic request: eaton charger belts  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
pic request: eaton charger belts
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »
firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Right has anyone got a picture of the belt lay outs for the eaton chargers??? mainly after an idea what other poeple of used to tension the belts up, and where abouts the bottom of the charger actualy bolts in position (and the end of the groove or up against the the inside edge)  sorry if thats confusing.

joel

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: pic request: eaton charger belts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
I might have a pic somewhere if youre lucky..... ill look later.

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »
right this is bugging the hell out of me now.  Firstly thanks for all the people i have pm'd asking about eaton mounting pictures.

i'll show you the pictures first

firstly, if you look in the first picture, look at the engine/charger mounting, the bottom part has that oblong groove in it that lines up with a hole (not threaded) on the charger bracket. Does the the charger have to sit flush up against the engine mount?

next, looking at the second picture, the tensioner that was supplied with the kit i bought, i can only see it mounting there using the bolt that was supplied aswell, in that non threaded holt on the charger bracket. is this the correct setup??

and finally the brand new toothed belt (unopened till about an hour ago) looks massivly to long :(, or is this due to the pulleys not been mounted properly?

any help please

joel

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »
The oblong hole should sit flat with the charger although mine (and others) never did so you may need to insert a spacer in the gap between the charger and the bracket otherwise youll get charger flex which eats belts! It does need to be exact to keep the charger square to the bracket.

as for the secondary tensioner like the psd kits had, isnt there a spare hole you could thread and add one?

How longs the belt and where you get it? Think i used 1120mm iirc.

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »
yeah i onlyqucikly fitted the charger on to line it up quickly just to take a picture, i have got the spacers etc needed.  as for another hole, there aint one, thats the only spare hole there.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:53 pm »
The second tensioner on mine really only stopped the belt from slapping about from bottom pulley to charger.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:39 pm »
i'd say the charger looks to need to be pivoted up and further out from memory the outlet was to the front with an elbow on it.

then the alternator needs to be out on its tension.

it used an 1120 belt.

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:55 pm »
the alternator is a g40 one, so i am unable to adjust it. If i pivot the charger up, it might work, but from what i have read about the eaton, i got the impression its ment to sit flush against the engine mount???  but if it is ment to pivot up, theres only that one bolt going through the tensioner to hold it up, would that be enough to hold it in position?

i'll measure the lenght of the belt thats in the picture aswell.  are you still able to get hold of the 1120 belts Pete?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:22 am »
the alt did have a slotted adjuster when i had it on a car.

The charger pivots up - the top swinging bolt holds it (when the spacers is in it) then the bolt goes through the tensioner and the engine mount (from memory)