Author Topic: G40 world gone a little crazy?  (Read 10236 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
G40 world gone a little crazy?
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:53:00 am »
well ive been in the G40 world for a fair while now and bought sold a few, but at the minute the world has gone crazy, price wise people have gone mad? i just seen a G40 on ebay for £5100

now that alone is enough to put make me think, wtf, i dont even need to see it, £5100 for any g40, is never going to sell, unless someone has too much money spare, but then, think what else you can get for that????

then there are others floating about with crazy price tags, it annoys me a little as people who have shitter £500 G40s seem to think they have a gold mine with a "few problems"

there is becoming a bit of a shift with owners too, i get the feeling g40s are loosing their rareness, i for one dont lose it, but some owners really dont care, dont think im voicing my views right, its hard to put into words really...

someone help me out? lol

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:44:03 am »
losing rareness? you mean people dont respect there were only 500 made?

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19:17 am »
well if its that joker with the black turbo one your trying to avoid mentioning then i totally agree lol

thing is i would pay a good sum of money for a really nice original one with low millage bt never an unfinished conversion or turbo or something because i might as well do that myself.  the bloke with the 5100 quid one is a complete  clown and if someone buys it at his crazzzzy price they will be Britains newest double act.

what you say a shift in owners, i'd say this is partly the reason PSD has gone down.  the people who once owned and maintained them had dissposable income to keep on top of them and drive them as they were.... keeping such businesses afloat.  young boyos generally dont have the money to do that. or dont want to.  lets remember though that there is probably quite a few people who own them outside of websites who never go near a computer and thus we know nothing of them  a bit like mine was.   some some will pop up unbeknownst, in good condition for fair prices.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:26:41 am by supercharged spaniel »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:42:43 am »
[quote pid=490 author=peteg40 date=1206434643]losing rareness? you mean people dont respect there were only 500 made?[/quote]

yeah thats what i ment lol

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03:22 am »
yeah - theres less and less pernickety and anal people like us, who'll replace something with genuine vw parts as it makes us feel better!!!!

next 5 years will show the men from the boys i reckon - more welding/paint needed will ensure g40 stay at the high prices but need money investing in them... this will mean more conversions and more scrapped real shells.

As for the turbo on ebay - it doesnt even have a bumper bar, which is structurally integral!

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:13:32 pm »
Your all correct, unfortunatly a lot of people see a fair/good condition G40 as just another £1500 car, rather than wht G40 badge really represents.  And so unscrupulous owners see them as a cheap bit of fun until it needs a bit of investment, to which they then right of the costs and end up breaking it or passing to someone else with even less engineering respect, and so another G meets it doom.  
I'm guilty I know as I  bought mine as a stop gap some 3 years ago only because I was familiar Polo's as we've had plenty through the family over the years.  Since then I've spent far more than I'd dare tell my wife(though I did by her an Audi A4 Avant Quattro-so she can't grumble really), and so my G lives on, and for many more years I hope.  My old man was so impressed by mine he bought his own a year later, letting his(my old) Coupe'S' go to his sister.
Anyway, what were we tallking about!!?

Offline NeilG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:01 pm »
Yeah I was only telling the neighbour recently how noticably  the kind of owners has changed in the time I've been around.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:49:27 pm by NeilG40 »

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:42:29 pm »
They are at the age, and price, where anybody can afford one. Take me for example, 18 and I have a G40. When I sold my GT for £1400 I could easily of got an shabby condition G, driven it into the ground and it would be another scrapper. Quite a few people would say I shouldn't own a G40 etc as I don't have the funding etc to look after it properly.

Although I can honestly say that if I hadn't have bought my G40 in a few years it would be killed. The guy who paid for the Eaton Conversion was driving on leaking G-Max suspension, used odd nuts/bolts all over the shop. He had a PSD rad bracket yet the rad was just dangling in mid air.

I don't think its to do with the 'new breed of owners'. Its that the car is no longer worth saving. Car hits 120k, charger needs a rebuild and need a new sill welded up. Thats about 2 grands worth of work. Most people cant justify that when you can get all the electric gizmos, decent handling, reliability and power from most modern cars for about 5k.

Offline g40chris

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:56:37 pm »
i bought my G when i was 18 and still have it now at 25

spent a fortune on it, but done things that needed to be done but got a little carried away. i wouldnt really want to sell it as i know i wont get any of that money back and some clown wont appreciate work gone into it over the years and either kill themselves or just totally wreck it which i will be gutted with.

its a car im going to have for a long time

love them

Offline martipelo

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:42:27 pm »
As i see it its quite simple. Just like in the real world the gap between the rich and the poor gets greater, in Polo world, the gap between the good and the bad one grows. As for the comment regarding PSD winding down i partially agree although with only 500 ever made you can hardly expect to be run off your feet ?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:46:56 pm »
I'd never pay £5,100 for a car that's been so messed about with - especially as you only have the owner's word for it when it comes to quality of parts used and care taken. I'd sooner part ways with that sort of cash for a mint original G40 that's only ever been dealer serviced and kept in one of those car bubble things all its life.

But as others have said I think they've now reached the stage where they're in the disposable car price bracket, which is a shame I think. Just like you can pick up an BMW 7 series for £2,000. But people forget that it's not just buying and insuring a car like that, it's running it.

There are so many badly bodged examples around, and enough clueless potential owners who'll heavily modify them before seeing how well they've been looked after it's hardly surprising there are lots of broken ones about now.

I remember when I first got my car, G40s were pricey to buy and pricey to run. There wasn't much in the way of tuning parts available without importing from Germany, and I remember friends being surprised I could afford a Mk3, let alone a GT, as my first car. Nowadays people are surprised when a GT is priced at triple figures.

Personally, as I've said before, when you're talking disposable car money, doubling the price for a good one is a sound investment.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G40 world gone a little crazy?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:47:21 pm »
Good god I'm rambling like a trooper.

Offline Tav

• Members
That black one on Club Polo is a joke at £5100.  It just looks like a mess and from what I can tell isn't remotely near being a quality example of "race spec." as described.  A lot of what has been done to it just devalues it in my eyes.  Pet hate is people who remove dashboards to make their car more "race spec."...really...when was the last time you saw a quality prep'd race car that had the dashboard removed?

On first impressions G40 CS seemed a little better...clean car with nice wheels, uprated brakes and over all quite a good spec.  Quite a good example of a modified car.  It's the standard ones that get me excited, there was a LUSH red one for sale a couple of years ago at about £4k, worth every penny in my eyes.

I think a lot of people are either not financially endowed/clueless/don't care when it comes to proper maintainance.  I wonder how many G40's in the UK have non-G40 specific parts bolted to them to fix issues...TCA's...steering arms etc. etc.

I was fixing the rear brakes on my GT the other day and found someone had lost one of the bolts for the brake cylinder, did they replace it?  Naaa...one will be enough...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:54:54 pm by Tav »

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
thats why im a vag whore.  if you keep replacing with cheap alternative stuff, evetually lots of stuff aint the real deal and it isnt going torun at its original specification.  thats my thoughts anyways.

unless however you are 'upgrading' then its a whole different kettle of fish, where does  ' a whole different kettle of fish' come from anyway??
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:19:14 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline giorgio

• Members
[quote pid=547 author=supercharged spaniel date=1206652673]where does ' a whole different kettle of fish' come from anyway??[/quote]

the sea.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:06:12 am by giorgio »