Author Topic: G40 Motorsport sump?  (Read 10188 times)

Offline PR23M3K

• Members
Re: G40 Motorsport sump?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:57 pm »
http://www.rp-motorsport.de/glader/g40-tuning.htm ... here aluminium oil sump costs 139 euro

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 09:31:26 am »
Not a job for the Dremel; wonder if they provide templates?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:07 am »
rpm - their phone number doesnt work and dont reply to emails.... i think they must no longer trade

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »
out of interest, does anyone know what the difference in a g40 bottom end is that means the baffles need trimming to fit it compared to a normal 1.3?

i stumbled across this one the other day online

http://www.sgt-motorsport.de/g-lader-technik/g40-tuningteile/p1315_g40-aluminium-oelwanne-sgt.html

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 04:09:51 pm »
http://www.maxrpm.de/Aluminum-oil-pan-with-oil-scots-and-cooling-fins-all-VW-Polo-86c-G40

Better pictures on here..

also no mention of editing :/ ....

**just for note, if there was a group buy a could be interested also!** 

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »
It does mention editing. http://www.maxrpm.de/pdf/MaxRPM_Aluminium-Oelwanne_Polo.pdf not too bad though.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 05:50:40 pm »
i cant seem to translate it ..

but im guessing the markers are whats to be cut!

your right it doesn't look that bad!...

Wonder if we contact them maybe form some group discount might be in order..

Ive already been emailing Thorsten Schlagwein from Maxrpm.de - if we get a few names down or number i can just pop an email again and get a quote!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »
bartek do them too.... i have an accuont with both if you want me to ask?

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
Yes pete that would be great,
best getting prices from both..

see what discount we could get..

You might also want to write up the benefits have these for people who aint interested to become interested..

will help boost numbers and maybe benefit us all on pricing

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01:06 am »
i desperately need a sump to finish building the new engine so would defo be interested if we can get a group buy?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:41 am »
Main benefit is the fins increase the surface area of the sump. This helps keep temperatures down. It wont essentially cool the oil like an oil cooler, but it will help keep the oil cooler than normal operating temps. They are effective. By the looks of it in the photos its got plates inside to keep the oil near the oil pick up to prevent it from oil starvation.

Also im sure ally has better cooling properties than steels sumps.

For the same price i got an oil cooler kit and windage tray which kinda does the same job but better. I have never had the buzzer or light go off with this added.

The only downside i see to all of this is when the weather is cold, most of the time in the uk, it will take a while to get up to temperature. Comparing this to The aircraft i work on, they dont usually take off for 10 minutes as they need to let oils get to temperature, we got 3 gearboxes on them, one with no fins but a big oil cooler, 2 that are small and have fins with no other cooling aids. When they go to hot environments they have an added cooling fan on the driveshaft that goes into the gearbox which cools it down. This would mean it could take a while to get to temp with these sumps.

So you dont need airflow for the fins, thats the idea of them, but for something thats working very hard and gets hot quickly and easily i would prob just get the oil sump. But then depends on your driving. If its track prob best of with oil cooler as when its being driven hard that oil stat will prob be always open cooling the oil and will get to temp quicker rather than this oil sump.

Does anyone know the sizes of the fins? Do they sit lower than a normal sump cause that will be a problem for lowered cars.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:48:05 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 10:39:18 am »
I just looked at the price then and thought whoa! I paid a lot less than that for an oil cooler and windage tray! I paid a total of £30 for tray and £100 for oil cooler.

Also like alex said you can see from photo 3 it will need cutting to suit. That seems a bit stupid, why not just cut it out when they were made? By the looks of how much you need to cut away it was pointless putting that plate actually in it as most of it will be gone!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:00:32 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:59 am »
Windage tray doesnt do the same as a proper baffled sump, a baffled sump stops the oil from all being moved away from the oil pick up, a windage tray is to reduce the amount of oil which gets "whipped up" and moved around due to the counter weights on the crank. think this means slightly more oil will stay in the sump rather than on and around the crank,also reduceses foaming or getting air into the oil. thats what i think it does anyway

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:28 am »
Yeah that is true. i have gone round some corners stupidly hard and still dont get the light/buzz come on. The tray does go quite low so maybe it helps keeping the oil in there somehow.

To be honest i have never had the oil buzz go off since the oil cooler was fitted.

Just under £300 seems a lot for a sump though, i know it has benefits but im sure a mocal oil cooler will be a better cheaper buy.

Them ones that were €140 seemed reasonably priced.

Or just put your own baffles in.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:58:21 am by Jezza-7 »

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05:07 am »
cant realy see that you need one unless your run slicks and track your car on a regular baisis -  that said they doo look nice  ;D