Author Topic: A 1306cc G40 is born  (Read 7645 times)

Offline randombadger69

• Members
A 1306cc G40 is born
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:33:57 pm »
So 2-3 years later and lots of this..

and it finally came together.

Engine went in once.. no compression on number four. All back out, dismantled had scoring on bores. So re-built another block with 76mm pistons. Put it all back in, still ran on 3. Pulled it all apart had scoring on cyls 1 and 4, took the block back to the machine shop. They stripped it cleaned everything gave it a hone and re-assembled it.

I noticed valves wern't sealing when we did a leak down on cyl 4. Stripped the head and discovered my brand new valves were slightly pitted due to metal from the bores embedded in the valve seats, stopping the valves from sealing.

So re-ground all the valves, got the block back from Scholar engineering. Who informed me there was a lot of dirt (almost grit) in the engine, which alarmed me somewhat.

To cut a long story short it was a load of bead in the inlet manifold. Scrubbed the inlet out in a hot tub and was shocked by the amount of shit that came out. Moral of the story.. vanity isn't worth it!

So, much aggro and expense later she finally runs! It runs a bit lumpy on first fire up, but soon clears out and runs on all four once its warm. (Lacking much more than a centre box in the way of exhaust atm!). Shit video as my camera decided to give up on me. I'll get a better one another day (when it goes on the rollers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7O0HczHbkI

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: A 1306cc G40 is born
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »
Good stuff  :)
Not that many go for the 76mm forged pistons, in fact i can only think of Paul Cauldwells of another. Was it for cylinder capacity regs/restrictions in competition use why you went this way?

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »
I wasn't going to go overbore at all. My mate convinced me to go 75.5mm, to get back to factory tolerances. Wossner were out of stock of these pistons, so I went 1mm over instead.

After the cock up with the inlet manifold being filthy inside and having to hone the 76mm block, it's probably no better off than before!

I probably should have gone for 77mm.. but at least it gives me that option if I ruin the bores on this one! ;D
Im going to need a base map to run this in, which would have been easier if i'd gone 77mm.

Do you know what sort of power Paul Cauldwells motor made?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »
Ahh mate that's wounding after all your efforts. Still at least it's sorted and rectified :)

Bay look aces! Will sound good with another box on. All mine are a bit unsettled or the first 30 seconds and then tick over nicely.

What's the rest of the spec?

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:31:36 am »
Ahh mate that's wounding after all your efforts. Still at least it's sorted and rectified :)

Bay look aces! Will sound good with another box on. All mine are a bit unsettled or the first 30 seconds and then tick over nicely.

What's the rest of the spec?

Cheers dude! It's certainly been emotional!

Spec for the moment is:

Engine

76mm Wossner pistons with PEC H-Section rods
KS main and "heavy duty" big-end bearings
New Genuine oil pump and chain
Lightened flywheel 3.6kg
Crank balanced to suit components
CG motorsport supplied kevlar clutch
Re-built head with catcams camshaft and vernier pulley
3F inlet manifold, standard throttle body and injectors
New genuine Bosch fuel pump
New G40 charger with 68mm twin v-belt pulley
Allard aluminium-alloy OE fit intercooler (to be replaced with a front mounted item at some point)
Copper exhaust manifold gaskets (hopefully won't need replacing for a very long time!)
Hottuning stainless 4-2-1 manifold with s/s flange welded on
44.45mm exhaust with two silencers, homemade mid-section out of 304 pre-bought mandrel bends and 316 1.5mm wall tubing all TIG welded. Rear section i may get pre-bent to save hassle.
Needs a base map to bed the rings in and run-in the charger.
Oil cooler, yet to be fitted.
8P box out of a mk2 until i can afford to re-build my ATV with a quaife diff.

Chassis and brakes

Unmodified shell for the time being.
poly engine mounting bushes
KW V1 coilovers
New G40 rosejointed TCA's
G40 rosejointed steering arms - damper to fit once set the ride-height.
Max RPM ARB blocks (for now)
Max RPM eccentric top mounts
VW1 carriers, VW2 calipers with Kitec s/s pistons, ebc red stuffs and goodridge full s/s brake lines.
Rear drum set-up for now on a G40 rear beam, no compensater.
12mm rear stub-axle spacers courtesy of Max Gozzard
14x7 ET25 OZ Routes with no center caps  :(
14x7 ET24 Mattig SSF's
Conti Sport contact 185/50/14

Inside

late mk2 coupe S "big spline" steering wheel
5 ball gearknob
12v wiring fitted
G40 clocks to be fitted
not set on seats yet
removed rear seats and ancilleries

Thats about it atm. Sat it on the deck the other day.. to say its stiff is an understatement!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:44:23 am by randombadger69 »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »
Quote from: randombadger69 link=topic=8204.msg57828#msg57828

Do you know what sort of power Paul Cauldwells motor made?

Hit and miss to be honest. Many setup problems, issues with constantly blowing up superchargers, cam and vernier overlap issues, alternator issue. When it was running sweet and adjusted upto 8500rpm limit (for a 7800rpm peak) was pretty damn quick, it revved ridicously fast (flat planed crank, lightened and balanced etc etc) circa 185+bhp but an alternator problem and cricked around with the vernier alot meant it got RR'd t just 168bhp @ 6600rpm when peak power should have been 1000rpm higher.  That was the plan anyhow. Blowing up superchargers kinda meant the swap to turbo was needed. The aim was a high revving track car with 200+bhp.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37:17 pm »
Sounds like it should have been a nice package!

I was thinking about the possible effect of a blown supercharger. Presumably high risk of throwing internals through the engine?

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »
Sounds like it should have been a nice package!

I was thinking about the possible effect of a blown supercharger. Presumably high risk of throwing internals through the engine?

Haha yes, hence why there is a gauze trap inside the OEM intercooler inlet!

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:22:04 pm »
Had never even consideredthat the charger going could damage the internals!! Assumedly the bits would have yrouble.to make it through the intercooler too especially to come back out the top...

Sounds like a top project... any pics?

Ad

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »
My reference to blowing up chargers, was the centre scroll seals inside blowing, usually popping out or the spring in them letting go, so oil loss everywhere, not the charger itself blowing up. 

Saying that, I had a Corrado G60 whose charger let go and it had a nice small hole on the case, carnage internally. And metal bits had made it past the Intercooler (they don't have a gauze protection and into the engine.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »
Done a wee bit more to this in between nursing the golfie.

Finally got round to building up my driveshafts. Had them powdercoated. When I stripped them down I measured the position of the counterbalance weight. However I took another pair of shafts to the coaters for a mate and now i have no idea which I had to start with ::)

The measurement the haynes manual give seems pretty useless and didn't correspond with the measurement I had previously taken. So I checked against a spare shaft and this didn't correspond to my measurement or the haynes manual. IIRC I measured 282mm from the shoulder of the inner CV splines to the face of the tapered weight. Which got me thinking.. presumably these are all balanced accordingly and no two will ever be the same?

Anyway once i'd assembled them with a selection of used CV's came the fun part. O/S shaft went on with no major drama. I refused to remove the ARB as it's a bit of a mission to fit with the Thorsten SW blocks, due to the bolts he supplies being the correct length (can't diss a man for this, good practise but in this instance 10mm extra would have been ideal!).

So then for the offside.. what an arse! Somehow when drifting the flange from the bearing/housing i'd managed to slightly damage the splines (think i used a socket upside down as a drift, wont be repeating this one!). Which meant after much cursing and awkward jiggling the whole strut had to come off.

A good thing really as it meant I could have a go at sorting out the ridiculous front toe-in created by the Thorsten SW blocks. Finally by 2am it was all re-assembled. It now moves under it's own steam for the first time in about 3 years!

Got the steering arm all free'd up and set somewhere near. So there was no getting away from it exhaust is the only thing left. had a look at how far we'd got.

So put the car back on stands. Lacking material for the exhaust, so thought i'd double-check the rear beam for alignment to the shell as tracking was in my mind.

Previously i had used stringlines to align the rear beam as best as possible. Unsure as to how accurate this method was, I thought i'd check it again.

So basically plumbed off the sills at the front and back and drew out some chalk lines on the floor. Then made datum points on these lines working from the crease where the door shuts and the front of the sill where the wing joins.

I then Measured between these lines accross our datum point at the front and at the back. Divided these measurements in half and marked this on the floor. I then drew this line out as the centreline of the sills. (wish my floor was flatter at this point!).

Next stage was to level the wheel studs on either side of the axle. I then got a mate to hold a straight edge to the face of the hub while resting on the level studs. We then plumbed to the foor and make a few marks, then joined these into lines either side.

Next i plumbed the centre of the stub axle to the floor as a datum point either side of the car. Marked across our existing line and measured out equally forwards and backwards from the centre of the axle.

Final stage was to measure accross our datum points square to the centre line in front and behind the axle. Our findings showed a lot of offset (left) in relation to the sills almost 40mm IIRC. But equal toe-in either side. Which made me very happy.

So yesterday still didn't have enough parts to really get cracking on the exhaust. I did however aquire a couple of Alloy oil coolers off my mate at the weekend. Think they're off a lotus Avora. He wants a fiver a piece for them, so happy days!

Got wee Jimmy to give me a hand working out location and measuring up. Made some rough cardboard templates and got cracking. Thought in the N/S wheel arch will do for now as im not running a Front mounted intercooler. I saw a lad on clubpolo had fitted some E30 foglight scoops from demon tweeks into the fog cut-outs, so I think i'll be getting some of those.

Had some 3mm s/s plate knocking about so used that.

To keep hose routes tidy and easy to work on have decided to blank off the union at the bottom on the front and cut one out of the other cooler and tig it in the back of this one.

Just need to gnawse a boss out of the other cooler and give it to Jim to weld up at work on an AC set as my plant only does DC.

Jim found some stencils lying about on the farm, would have been rude not to..

And a cheeky pic of the fuel pump assy.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:46:45 am by randombadger69 »

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »
Great update andy your doing well..

glad the car is progressing .. do you have a target time for it to be on the road ?

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 02:38:03 am »
Cheers Terry, im trying. Got bugger all funds at the moment, so things have come to a slow down.

Spoke to Andy regarding a chip, once I have some funds can get this sorted. Also need some s/s flanges for the rear section of the exhaust, some tube bending and a silencer. Then it's pretty much ready for mot and get the engine run-in ready for a mapping session.

Oil coolers not essential at this stage, I have a sandwich plate, just need hoses and unions. Anybody know where's best for these? I was considering pirtek, my mate mentioned merlin motorsport. Havn't checked them out yet. Dont know what sizes i need tbh!

My aim was on the road for the summer, but i'd settle for 2012 sometime ;D After the last big job I said im not coming out of my workshop till it runs which it now does. Now I just need some work and i'll be on it again!

Feels good running out of jobs to do mind.