Author Topic: engine block  (Read 1460 times)

Offline xandyx

• Members
engine block
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:26 am »
i'm about to rebuild my engine, i already ordered new rings, crank and rod bearings.

the question is.. what's your/best way to deglaze cylinders?

can i use a certain grit of sandpaper to do the job, or should i get a honing tool to use in a drill?

cheers
André

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: engine block
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:31 am »
no! you need to use a glaze breaking tool and a speed controllable drill on nice and slow.  Don't go anywhere near it with sandpaper :)

Assuming you've already got a suitable drill, glaze breaking/honing tools aren't expensive. 

Go easy on it, you want to take out the smallest amount of metal possible.

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:07 pm »
thanks for your reply hayesey!

gonna get a hone tool. which one you think to the the best, that 3 stone type hone, or that ball brush?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:53:24 am »
well I used a 3 stone one because I just borrowed it off a friend.  Apparently those bottle brush type ones are meant to be easier to use for someone who's not done the job before. 

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:55 pm »
have a read in any old haynes manual - I think there is a section on using a honing tool IIRC. There is an ideal sort of speed & angle to leave the hones marks at (could be around 20°? It's in the book) and you want to get that right too.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:12:45 pm »
yeah and dont let the honing tool stop in the bores either or it'll make irregular grooves while it slows down, keep the speed slow and steady, moving up & down steadily too (el oh el :D ).  And when you are ready to pull out (el oh el again :D ), keep the drill speed steady until the stones are completely out of the bores. 

I'm sure there'll be several how-to guides on t'internet you can find using Google.