Author Topic: Anyone in sheffield area fancy helping me change a cambelt...  (Read 3653 times)

Offline ollster

• Members
Anyone in sheffield area fancy helping me change a cambelt...
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:00:45 pm »
Not on a g40 but on my polo gt, the water pump is making some nasty noises so i am going to change the belt and pump (guessing its the same as the g40) i havent done one before and am not sure what there is to it, i am guessing the belt is tensioned off the water pump?

Going to get these parts from GSF:

Water Pump
Bolts for waterpump?
Cambelt
Coolant

Do i need anything else?

Cheers

Olly

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Anyone in sheffield area fancy helping me change a cambelt...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:04:13 pm »
I might be able to help - depending on when you are doing it. I live in penistone. Its actually easier on a lesser model as the crank pulley isn't as wide.

I'd suggest you consider getting the following while you are at it.

1. Crank pulley bolts (a must- sometimes you need to muller the existing ones off)
2. thermostat and seal (unless yours is recent) - although sometimes the housings do very occasionally crack when replacing these.
3. Alternator belt as this needs to come off and are quite cheap

pete

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:32 pm »
Try bleading the coolant circuit before comencing any work. Air in the system cam make a horible noise at the pump due to 'cavitation'

Offline ollster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:49:14 pm »
    That would be excelent if you could lend a hand pete, i would obviously pay petrol and beer tokens. I live just outside off sheffiled (s43) but could possibly travel to you if the car makes it that far without lunching the water pump  :D i was hoping to get the job done on saturday or sunday this week.

I have already done the stat and stat housing so i would just need the following...?

1. crank pulley bolts
    2. Water Pump
    3. Cambelt
    4. Coolant
    5. Bolts for waterpump?
    6. Poosibly an alternator belt (although this wouldnt be too much hassle to change at a later date i assume)[/li]

Olly
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:00:22 pm by ollster »

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:45 pm »
your water pump should come with the bolts

Offline ollster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:57 pm »
Im fairly sure its a mechnical noise as its like sounds like clac clac clac at tickover (deffo not top end rattle or a knock) with no loss off power or poor running, i have noticed it for 6 months for the first few minutes when cold but it now the temperature has dropped it makes this noise even when warm.  I am aware the water pumps normally whine for the first 30 seconds when the car starts as this is my 3rd mk3... (a g40 and two gt's) but its differnt noise to that.

Try bleading the coolant circuit before comencing any work. Air in the system cam make a horible noise at the pump due to 'cavitation'

Offline ollster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:58:59 pm »
thanks i will check when i go to GSF

your water pump should come with the bolts
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:03:04 pm by ollster »

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:49:27 am »
how's the crank seal looking? for the sake of an extra hours work, I'd recomemnd removing the crank pully(replace if necessary as mine was well worn) then remove the oil pump housing cover, change the crank seal in that and rebuild it with a new gasket too.  whilst you've got the cover off, check the oil pump chain drive tension, as they can get a bit rattley when worn.  If it does need adjusting the allen head bolts can be a little soft, so some replacements wouldn't go a miss, the one's I was given from VW/Audi dealer were normal hex heads which gave me a bit more confidence on the rebuild(careful you don't drop them in the sump when renoving them).