Author Topic: Mk1 G40 Turbo  (Read 74865 times)

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
Re: Mk1 G40 Turbo
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 07:10:13 pm »

Haha yeah thanks!

Definately fed up of bodywork - so hard to get motivated to do it. Will be easier when I get to doing all the fun stuff and a bit of dev. Can't wait mate. Not long now.

As far as paint goes, I think the saying goes 'you don't have a dog & bark yourself' if you catch my drift.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 09:32:11 pm »
Christmas has been pretty kind to me. I've done a deal over work over the festive period, and as a result this rear arch is the last major thing I have to do before more interesting jobs come up. Ok first I've got seat bars to weld in and a bulkhead to modify for the servo but that's fun as it's changing things & making new stuff that was never meant to be there - not replacing like for like stuff that's rotted away with the sands of time (and repairing bodge jobs of old!) That said, it looked ok when I first got it. Hiding a multitude of sins.

Anyway, with the sill tacked up I pulled the rest of the arch off and had a look at the rear RH corner to see what was going down in there....

balls.

but after clearing away the crud, a bit of tickling up and decisive cutting it looked a lot easier to tackle.

better.

then Jess came in and brought me a brew. Nice one!

Then I did a quick bit of patching the inner arch. Forward of the blue arrow, it's all bad. at least 60% of the original inner arch is ok once these patches were added.

And now I've cut it all back and made sense of it, I made a start with the patches. S'all good. All the other rusty bits are just surface stuff, so it's nothing to worry about. I'll treat the lot when the time comes.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »

Got the rear corner welded up, then cut & shaped the arch. It had to be in two pieces of I physically couldn't get it in place!

then replaced the inner arch with some new pieces. This was a right tw@t of a job. As described earlier I used old outer arch pieces to form the new inner pieces but I had to shut them about and put the new outer on & off to see if the profiles were right or not. Mission. Anyway - sorted it and gave it some etch primer inside & out.

clamped it all up gently for a look....

Nice. Then I prep'd the first part. Holes for the puddle welds, joggled for the lap joints - the strongest type which keep the most rigidity in your panel, and the E coat ground off so the weld takes. But first, it needed extending 5mm. I got a little bit excited with the grinder earlier. ffs.

All tacked in place...

Prepping the rear portion - a cheeky extension where the original pressing stretched the edge out of shape...

It's all looking good, so slotted that badboy in place and let my MIG do the talking. Well, tacking anyway.

And there we are Polo friends. The rest of this week is taken up with life stuff and next week I'm getting my SHRED on in the alps, but I achieved what I wanted to before I go. When I get back, it's a weekend (or a bit less) of weld 'n grind action before playtime begins! Yeah, there will still be a day or so of finishing bits body related but it's just gucci stuff really.

Let the games begin.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:07 pm »

Done.

Damn. That was full when I started!!

Next job, deep cleanse of the workshop (as it's knee deep in grinding dust.) Boring.

Next interesting job - remove Mk1 dash and heater matrix, blower unit + steering column and graft Mk3 brake servo on to Mk1 pedal box (I think) and alter bulkhead. Then it's Mk3 matrix, blower and dashboard in.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:56 am »
Great work again Ross! Cheers for the heads up on the mk1 linkage, I am guna take it out the mk3 for kim!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 11:40:56 am »
awesome fabrication skills!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »
Bet you're glad to see the end of the 'rustoration' part of the build! On to the interesting bits now!

Steve's (86C) method of servo-ing a Mk1/2 was to weld the appropriate section of Mk3 bulkhead in, dunno how often he's on here - but might be worth giving him a shout as he's done it several times.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 02:07:58 pm »
Andy - Ross has chopped that section out of a mk3 i've broken , although i can't imagine its going to be an easy job to get it into the mk1 as the angles and joins are all funny around the servo.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 07:18:35 pm »
Cheers boys! Yeah well pleased, had enough of it - time to modify!

Looking at it (and of course I can't see too much until I hoof the dash out) I think I'm going to try and alter the bulkhead as little as poss and graft the servo onto the mk1 pedal box - as it looks like the mk1 'box mounts differently. Until I can see more it's only a plan though.

Tom was really helpful in letting me lose with a grinder to the Mk3.  If nothing else I've got a reliable pattern for exactly where the servo should fit to set the clutch pedal correctly. It might be a hybrid of mk1 & 3 bits.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2014, 05:02:29 pm »
Right. Things to do before paint:

Fit mk3 dash + column
Shut mk3 brake servo in
fit seats, bars & runners
fit engine + ancillaries, cooling pack etc etc build exhaust manifold and downpipe.
Big strip down.

It's only fair to say at this point that i'm not doing anything no-one's done before. My friend 'oldskoolmat' (on here) did the whole mk3 dash into a Mk1 on his in his Mk1, and I liked the idea so i've copied him. Mat gave me a bit advice on what to shut to get it in too. Cheers Mat!

So first, take out Mk1 dash & column. Easy enough. Threw the mk3 dash in (+heater matrix & HIM) and cut it down a bit at the sides. Cut the original mounts off, shortened them and bonded them on so the original mk1 fixing holes could be used.

Ground off the reminance of the old lugs too for max clearance.

In out, in out, shake it all about. You know how it is - these things take time! Then as the mk3 dash is deeper I moved the original lower fixings down to meet it.

Once that was sorted, it was time to look at the columns side by side. Same length but different construction, so ground off a bracket on the mk3 item and fab'd a bracket out of 16swg to mount it to the original fixing but first, the diameters were different, so I tacked a bit of scrap into the old mount so I could use a hole saw to open it out.

Then I moved it around and decided that 16swg was too thin, so I made one out of 3mm. This also got altered later on, when I found I couldn't get it behind the dash once it was in! Only needed 'reshaping' :-)

I set it all up, (checking the binnacle went in too) but found the wheel was too close to the dash. I was thinking - how do I know what the correct dimension is? ANSWER - the ignition cowling...which I dont seem to have! So i've left it for now. I've extended the column a bit (as it's telescopic) to get what I think is the right clearance. It feels right anyway. I don't think the original cowling will fit anyway as the position of the column is slightly different than standard.

MK1

MK3

Got the centre consul in too which is a bonus. That's what I wanted.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:45 pm »

And so onto the brake servo. This took a bit more thinking about. Again, it's been done before and the standard method seems to be to cut out the relevant parts of the mk3 bulkhead and shut them in, changing to a mk3 pedalbox too. This mounts differently to the mk1 item.

Frankly, it seems like a lot of work so I wanted to investigate methods without MORE cutting, welding & grinding. I reckon I've achieved it too.

Here's the difference between the mk1 & 3 sections in the bulkhead

I needed to get the servo as close to the OE bulkhead as possible, but if you do that the steering arm is directly above it hence the centre point of the brake master cylinder is lower on the mk1, as it doesn't have a servo (so nothing gets in the way.) So it had to be spaced out a little way to avoid that, but not too far that the end of the master cylinder (once bolted on) gets in the way of the dipstick tube and injector rail. I'm talking in general terms here. I don't actually know what the closest parts are but I will when I throw the engine in in a few weeks so it's best guess for now.

Luckily i've got friends with Polo's and a whole forum at my disposal! I called in to see Andy a few weeks ago and took a few photo's of his car as a matter of course so I've got a general feeling for the spacing and I called Saf who (as usual) was close to a mk3 Polo so I could get his advice from looking at one while on the phone too. I think what I've knocked up should be ok.

First of all, I cut down the original spacer so I could get as close to the rack as possible...

Then I fab'd a bracket to go off the front of the spacer and bolt on using the original studs off the the mk1 pedal box which spaces it out and picks up on the mk3 servo...

and offered it up after i'd cut a little of the inner arch lip away on the left hand side....

It's looking good. It works out that it's spaced forward 38mm (1.5") off the bulkhead. It's only tacked for now. So i'll need to weld up the bracket and extend the clevis on the servo - easy. I wont be doing any of that until I know it all clears once the engine is in.

Here's the view under the wheelarch - you'll appreciate what I mean about the steering arm and how the spacing helps.

I'll put a gentle bend in the steering arm if needs be, but when I drop the car a prescribed amount i'll probably move the arms on the uprights down the same amount to compensate. Until I know exactly where the arm sits and arcs it's guesswork, so it'll remain in this state for a while now.

It's called development for a reason  8)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 07:41:08 pm »
This thread just got more awesome!!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »
Looks good mate! Can always lower the steering arm/strut by 25mm and use a Mk1 golf insert  ;)

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 10:24:32 pm »
Seats & runners.

Think I'm going to fix the passenger seat in place as I've got fixed seats (none tilting for rear access.) The drivers side will be fixed height wise and the seat back angle too, but I'll put runners on it. In fact, I'm going to replicate the drivers side brackets & seat bars and put in a couple of spacers so if I decide to put runners in on the passenger side somewhere down the line, I can.

Seat runners. About £75 from demon tweeks and they are out of some 70's triumph. Rubbish. Standard seat fitting is a tad random so I'm ditching the lot. A colleague of mine (who has worked for a lot of marques) recommended that for one of the vehicles he developed they used BMW Mini seat runners as the mech is really nice and very adjustable and they are only an inch deep. That'll do. So I picked up a Mini seat for £15. Gotta love eBay  ;D

Stripped them down to get to the real deal...

Nice.

Also picked up some lovely hight tensile (but weldable) lightweight round tube for my seat bars. This is actually crash bar material removed from car doors!

Drilled out some Ø20 bar to weld into the tube to fix my runners to..

and then scribed and set up the tubes in the drill to take out to Ø20 so I could weld the bushes in. This is where I hit a problem. It may be high tensile & weldable, but it's extremely hard to drill! So hard, that after blunting a few (HSS) bits on the first hole (of 16!) I gave it up as a bad job. I'm going to get some box section instead - I can drill that. Yeah - I could weld some lugs on the side of the tube, but I want to put bosses through it. That's how I want it.

Anyway, seats. This is where I lucked in. A friend of mine used to work for Lotus. He was building a project and had some new Elise seats from the factory. Anyway, he moved projects and got some seats from other car within the group instead, so the Elise seats became 'spare' so he offered them to me at 'cost price'. Now, I'm not going to talk pound notes, but let's just say that it was the deal of a lifetime!! You can pick them up with a finger, they are very comfortable and look the 'nuts!

So I fab'd a front bracket to hold the front of the seat to the front of the runners, and then started the rear (making a good job of it) but I need some nice laser cut items to finish it, but I couldn't finish it until I knew the position, height & angle were right, so I put some gash brackets in to test.

As I'm waiting for my box section, I threw in a piece of wood around the right height and clamped it up! It took a bit of working out, not having any datums so a bit of guestimation was involved. I wasn't far out though - I never am  8)

Just needs dropping about an inch and it'll be perfect. Dad reckons so anyway...

So I'll get my new material for my seat bars, fab those up and set them in next week, sit in it for a while, close my eyes grab the wheel and pretend it's finished, then copy the seat to runner brackets, strip the lot out and I'm done. Seats will go back in the loft for a while until rebuild time.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:18 am »
This build is epic! Cant beleive ive never seen it before top work man :D