Author Topic: Turbo Squareback - History & Rebuild Thread  (Read 51478 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Turbo Squareback - History & Rebuild Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »
Some slow progress, got distracted with a work trip to India, Polo Show, BVF and buying a new daily. Now has all glass in apart from the doors, vactan'd the pipe of doom behind the fuel tank and currently part way through dismantling the front suspension to underseal the stitch welds the bodyshop left bare metal.

Might grab some pics over the weekend as the underseal goes on. Then going to re-do all the brake lines.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:37 pm »
Right, so it's about time for an update!

I've been a bit distracted, came back from honeymoon and the day after collected the car from the bodyshop. I was quite disappointed as they'd only sorted about a third of the bits I'd ask them to whilst I was busy getting married etc. - and in 5 weeks they'd had plenty of time...

Anyway, brought the car home and sulked for a bit. Cheered myself up by getting a new daily!

Then after Polo Show, BVF and a whole load of shite weather I got stuck in. This is how the bodyshop left the battery tray welding on the inside:

Pretty isn't it?! It's seam sealed on the outside, but the welding's rather crude to say the least and there are plenty of holes. Anyway, it's now Vactan'd to treat the surface rust, and will get undersealed to hopefully keep it water tight.

The stitch welding they'd done on the turrets and chassis legs had unsurprisingly melted the underseal on the inner arches. Unfortunately the bodyshop saw fit to leave most of it as it was. This photo is after I've quickly whacked some Vactan on there to protect and treat the bare metal before it gets any worse:

So tonight I've scraped all the burnt underseal off and wire-brushed all the welds so I can treat them:

And now treated with Vactan:

Here's the stuff in question - available on eBay pretty cheaply. It's like Krust, but better... Used in marine applications so I figured it'd be reet on a car too.

Random photo of one of the topmounts. These are about 25,000 miles old - but aren't half as fucked as Polo ones usually are. I can only assume that as circa 20k of that mileage is with a subframe, the frame stopping the struts wondering around must help!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 09:22:32 pm »
Undersealed both front arches:

Painted the underside of the battery tray repairs too:

And also added more underseal to the topside of the battery tray to fill a few pin holes in the bodyshop's Stevie Wonder welding - will have to repaint the battery tray myself once it's dried:

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 11:32:39 am »
hmmm, i might go look for another bodyshop then.... few bits like that dont seem great do they! especially when your paying good money for it.

Glad to see your back on this anyway Andy ;)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:23 pm »
TBH you get what you pay for, and maybe I was expecting too much. I've seen what a £7k paintjob looks like, and even then there are things you can criticise.

Unless you're acid dipping the shell, getting it welded by a full-time welder, buying all new bolt-on parts, and then taking it to a perfectionist bodyshop, it'll never quite be 100% perfect.

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:49 pm »
Thats very true, but basic things like protecting welds isent something you should have to pay extra for, surely? hmmm.  :-\

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
No, it isn't. I'm surprised, because my arch repair was sealed up properly, and it was done by the same bodyshop. Surprised to see yours hasn't had the same.  ???

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 05:26:21 pm »
Driver's side windows in. Still need to order the door B-pillar trim from DKnight, and have got a new lumpy B-pillar trim coming to replace the one I've stuck on there as it's a bit dog eared from being taken off:

Mirror image, note door handles now on along with new armoured door plates (C&R Enterprises in Nottm can do OEM new ones):

Painted the re-sealed battery tray:

...but it still leaked when I tested it with water - that's after I added more sealer, primered, painted and lacquered. So I decided to Waxoil the fucker and be done with it. The result is far from pretty, but I kept going 'til the Waxoil stopped dripping inside the car.

Pimp my brake servo:

While I had the Waxoil out the pipe of doom got a good spaffing:

Boot plinth back on:

Brand new numberplate bulb lenses and bulb holders:

Shiny new boot latch:

Tailgate now shuts and latches, added some badges to cheer things up:

Wiring harness now back in the tailgate - I'd de-pinned the connector at the vehicle harness end which is about the only way I can see you getting this harness in and out unscathed. Anyway, it went in okay and routed nicely:

New washer hose added and threaded through. This was more of a pain in the arse than the wiring harness, but got there in the end.

Wiper motor back in and wiring all clipped up properly - also Waxoiled the fuck out of the inside of the tailgate too, as I didn't want a repeat of what happened to the original.

Tail lamps and wiring harness for them went back in:

And chucked the rear bumper back on with brand new bolts for some instant gratification. At least the arse end looks a bit more like a car again now!

Only fly in the ointment is this:

...the pedal box doesn't fit!! I've had today off work with the aim of getting the servo/pedal box back in, and re-fitting the carpets so I can get the interior back in and out the way. Instead it looks like it might have to go back to the bodyshop for the battery tray to be modified - this might be a blessing in disguse!

Check how close the bottom right-hand bolt hole is to the battery tray repair:

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »
Looking good Andy! Tdh_syorks who had my G before had the tray welded, now the battery barely fits and rattles around because the rear ledge is too tall. I guess its difficult to sort the tray out perfect. Its going to look fully restored after all this work :)

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 09:45:30 am »
Oh progress! good to see, love this colour. I guess battery tray should have a refit free of charge? given its not correct and that?
 I was going to respray mine in the same colour but given i have very similar engine plans i dont think it would of been quite right to have a same coloured car haha. Went for a rather fetching shade of green though:

Anyway, good luck with this Andy :-)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »
Back to the Bodyshop for the battery tray to be sorted, along with the bonnet.

Bought some 14" steelies for when stealth mode is required. They came primered after blasting, so I rubbed them down:

And gave them a splash of silver. Will lacquer them tomorrow. Probably will keep my MOs for track wheels, not sure what to do with my 14" RAs.

Car should be back from Bodyshop next week!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »
Looking good andy!

If you wanna get rid of them comp's let me know  ;)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
I think if anything goes it'll be the RAs! ;) Always wanted a set of MOs, so think I'd regret selling them and steelies feel right for the car.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »
The car is looking good Andy.
Are those steels 6" ET38? If so, which size tyre will you be using as we all know there ain't a lot of room under the rear arches?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 06:53:30 am »
Yep, 6" ET38 - which is what the Compos and Speedlines I had on before were. I use a 185/50 R14 as 195/45 is too wide IMO and makes the car tramline too much.

Rear arches have been slightly rolled and pulled for yonks, so 6" ET33 just fits too.