Author Topic: Track Prep Project  (Read 31766 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: Track Prep Project
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 04:06:20 pm »
He does offer the service however he will not do Alcantara again as its too time consuming due to the lack of stretch it gives and it also tears easily.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:03 pm »
Did you make your own rear door cards or just carpet over the inner quarter panel ??

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:26 am »
I used some perspex to create a flat surface and then carpetted over it.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »
Looks good, i always think standard rear door carss look abit odd in a stripped out onterior as therr ebds dont line up with anything, did you just screw the perspex back to the inner quater panel??

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 07:14:59 pm »
Quick update:

Fitted a roll cage to the car, picked up a safety devices one from a member on here for a very good price.

Had to cut the cage down to get it to fit as mine has a sunroof and i didn't want to cut it out.

The side bars are way too low so the plan is to have some bars welded in higher at a later date.

Got the cage and the welding done for less than £400 so pretty pleased with it.

Going to do Oulton Park near the end of June.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 10:36:20 pm »
Looking good mate. Be careful of the clearance between your head and the joints/bolts on the cage where the bar over the door meets the B pillar roll over bar. A friend of mine went out in a car with a bolt-in cage similar to yours and wasnt wearing a helmet, needless to say he did himself no end of damage when the car had a small bump...

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:21 pm »
Looks great that robin awesome job! gettin proper track spec now!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 06:35:43 am »
Looking good mate. Be careful of the clearance between your head and the joints/bolts on the cage where the bar over the door meets the B pillar roll over bar. A friend of mine went out in a car with a bolt-in cage similar to yours and wasnt wearing a helmet, needless to say he did himself no end of damage when the car had a small bump...

you've obviously never met robin, and he's not shown the blocks of wood bolted to the pedals mod in this build thread, or the cushion on the bucket seats to see over the steering wheel - suffice to say he's about 4ft6.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 08:45:40 am »
When stood on a phone book...

Once you've sorted the door bars and windscreen bar it won't be that bad tbh! Did the blot in bar to the floor fit okay?

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18:20 pm »
Well done, looks very nice good job  :)

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 10:24:09 am »
That looks really good.. :)

Are you able to pass on the details to me of the guy that did your steering wheel? would like to see if I could have mine covered..

Mark

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:19 pm »
I think his mrs did the steering wheel Mark :)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 10:39:21 am »
A guy at work did the steering wheel for me. PM me if you want one of yours doing.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 11:24:43 pm »
It's been a while since I have updated this thread so here goes:

Did a track day at Oulton in November and found boost issues - boost was dropping down to 17psi (actuator pretty much set to the max and no boost leaks). Replaced the turbo and boost was back up to 21psi.

Put the car on the rollers in Feb and made 205bhp.

Following that I then did a track day at Oulton Park in March and had some great tussles with cars with much more power.

Videos and pictures here: http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9551.0

The day ended just after lunch when I stripped 5th gear.

Over the next 2-3 weeks I will be taking the engine out to fit a replacement box with the gripper diff fitted, sorting a few small oil and coolant leaks out, fitting some PPP adjustable TCA's and these FK coilovers with custom springs (300lb/in on the front and 200lb/in on the rear).

The aim is to have it all done ready for some Santa Pod action on the 10th of August - time to dig out the drag slicks :-)

Next track on the plan is in November at Oulton Park again unless I can find some time to do one earlier as I would really like to see what difference the coilovers have on the handling of the car.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:26:49 pm by Robin »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:13 am »
Congrats on the power figure Robin, rear coils are a bit of an arse if they are off a mk1 golf? Should be ok as you've removed the helpers but will have to run them pretty jacked up.