Author Topic: new to g scene  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Vw-Polska

• Members
new to g scene
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:21:07 pm »
hi guys I'm new to the g scene and seeking advice, I have come from the air cooled side and after having six vw vans on our drive I'm moving onto something fun but different and that's why I've had my eye on g40s for sometime now!

I want to know what modifications are the best to get the most out of the engine, I've already planned chassis and body modifications but need to know about engine/charger!

I have done quite a bit of research but seeing of you guys could throw any more ideas my way.

Looking to buy a g40 january/febuary time and want to build up for run to the sun next year.

Thanks and I appreciate any replys!

P.s if anyone is interested in vw campers check out our website for hire info etc at www.drivemycamper.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:55:39 pm by Vw-Polska »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: new to g scene
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:07:20 pm »
Hi and welcome,
As usual, money will be the deciding factor here.
Before doing anything to modify it you need to accertain the overall condition of the engine. A compression test carried out when cold and then when hot are a good starting point.
Drain the oil and check that there's no nasty crap in it. Same with the coolant, any oil contamination? Is the headgasket leaking at the corner above the alternator?
If the engine is mechanically quiet with no top end rattling etc and everything seems in order, the first thing is to give the engine a thorough service, not just an oil and filter change.
If the charger hasn't been serviced recently, get it done. For more performance, have it flowed and ported. You can fit a smaller pulley, better still a toothed belt conversion.
Then you are looking at a proper cold air feed to a heat shielded cone filter, a decent 4 branch manifold and decatted system. An oil cooler is a worthwhile investment too. With a remap and possibly some 250cc injectors fitted to a GT inlet manifold, that's pretty much as far as you can go without opening the engine up for a ported cylinder head and change of camshaft.
Obviously you can go much further. The bottom end on these engines are very strong indeed, the pistons being the only weak point. Forged pistons in a rebuilt bottom end will give far more long term reliability and allow even more power to be safely extracted.
150-160bhp is reasonably easy and relatively cheap to get. Beyond this it starts getting expensive - very expensive. Good fun though!
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Richard.

Offline Vw-Polska

• Members
Re: new to g scene
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »
thanks very much this info will be very handy! im looking forward to this project. il keep you guys posted once i have purchased a suitable g40.

thanks again much apreciated

regards chris!