Author Topic: toothed pulley guide?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline jtpdubz

• Members
toothed pulley guide?
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
anyone know of a guide/how-to for fitting a set of psd toothies?
had a look and cant seem to find one on here
is it a fairly straight faward job? i dont wana mess my timing up!

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: toothed pulley guide?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:30 pm »
It's pretty easy mate, you can't mess your timing up as the timing belt doesn't have to be removed.

From memory, 4 allen headed bolts on the crank pulley for the charger belts, one big nut on the alternator pulley and the same for the charger. Hardest part is holding them still whilst undoing the nuts on the alt' and charger. You can use a rubber chain whip thingy or similar to help. Once off, swap the pulleys for the new ones, the crank pulley bolts are slightly offset to stop you putting it on the wrong way (so the timing marks stay the same).  Tighten it all up (torques in Haynes for crank pulley) and put the belt on, presumably you know how to tension the charger? If not there's a FAQ for removal and refitting that will cover it.

You may find that you need to drop the left hand side of the engine down to get access to the bolts on the crank pulley, I think I've done this before by raising the gear box end to get the angle, but I can't be sure from memory.

One thing that might catch you out is don't try to undo the big bolt on the crank pulley. It's not actually holding the auxiliary pulley on. It looks like it is, but it's actually holding the main timing pulley on and you don't really want that to come off...

Offline jtpdubz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »
thanks mate thats helped alot, ye when i checked it out i figured youd have to undo the main bolt on the crank pully so thanks for saving me there, much appreciated!
ill have a go tomorrow

Offline jtpdubz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »
oh by the way what sort of tension should the belt be i.e roughly how much play should there be in the belt once tight?
and theres a timing mark on my toothed crank pulley, what does this mean? i take it as the bolts are offset it will only go on one way like you said

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:14:19 pm »
The timing mark is there for timing up with a light as the aux pulley obscures the main pulley.

Tension wise, I've always used the same rule as a cambelt, twist it halfway along it's longest length with your thumb and finger, 90 degrees twist.

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:08 pm »
the toothed belt pulley has a timming mark as the standard twin-v pulley. it's only a guide mark when doing new cambelt replacement.

you can check the tension with your fingers, bettween crank pulley and chager pulley try bend it with your fingers about 90ยบ, no more no less.

cheers

Offline jtpdubz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:16:35 am »
thanks for the help people