Author Topic: Info on worn apex seal grooves  (Read 3012 times)

Offline LilStu1982

• Members
Info on worn apex seal grooves
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:54:25 am »
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me more information on worn apex seal slots in the scroll. The apex seals themselves appear to have have shrunk allowing them to slide laterally in the slots. At the outer end of the slot the wall seems to have worn slightly thin, enough for the seals to flex slightly in the slot. Is this a huge problem, or is there a certain tolerance on wear?

Comments appreciated, and many thanks!

Offline xandyx

• Members
Re: Info on worn apex seal grooves
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:36 am »
from what i can tell, the only apex seals that don't shrink are the beige compound sintimid seals.

most of brown seals tend to shrink

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:57:51 am »
as xandyx puts - lots of the seal strips shrink and tbh lots of tuning/servicing companies cut them short - which isn't good.

On here i sell the beige strips which are cut exact.

If the outer end of the slot is thin - its most probably due to a worn centre bearing which causes the scroll to rub against the casings, eventually this can rub through and the apex seal comes out and grenades yourcharger.

Offline LilStu1982

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »
 Its more the width of the slot at the outer end rather than the end of the slot itself. It just seems to have worn a little too wide, and the end of apex seal sits close to the edge of the scroll. Also I think the apex seals/strips have worn laterally aswell as in length and height. This will add to the amount of play. Maybe the best thing to do is to get some new apex seals (from you Pete if thats possible) and try them in the slots and take it from there.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:04:32 am by LilStu1982 »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:11:47 pm »
some photos might be useful to be honest.

may just be a tooling thing. I've seen some which go slightly off centre towards the end of the apex seal groove - closer to one edge than the other.  I've also seen apex seals used which are too big (cheapo ones) which will bend the apex seal wall slightly - so its obviously bigger one side than the other

pete

Offline LilStu1982

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:53:45 am »
Here is the best picture I could take! The charger itself I believe to be as original, its done 60K from new.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »
unclear from the photo - but as well as being 'thin' on the bottom side it looks  'thick' on the top side like the tool has cut the end of the slot slightly off centre.

If this is not the case and the wall itself below is shiny - (may be glare) then its the centre bearing has gone and its worn down that side of the displacer.

Offline LilStu1982

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:17 pm »
I'm tending to agree with you Pete, more of a tooling error than wear. I'll get in contact with you about some new apex seals shortly. Many thanks again!