Author Topic: 1980 Golf LS Turbo  (Read 28470 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
1980 Golf LS Turbo
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:20:16 am »
Model:

1980 VW Golf LS
Yellow (if you know the proper colour please let me know, no sticker in boot and I want to order some paint)
First Registered 17/06/1980

Engine: - Soon to be transplanted

Rebuilt 1272cc 'PY' G40
Garret T25 Turbocharger
6PSI Boost Switch
Custom Turbo Manifold
Forge Dump-valve
540mm x 140mm x 65mm FMIC
Blue Rocker Cover
Full 3" Stainless Exhaust (Downpipe Back)
Alloy RPM Tuning Sump
Aeroquip Braided Drain Line
Mocal Oil Cooler & Thermostatic Oil Cooler

Suspension:

JOM Coilovers

Brakes: To be fitted

Lucas 54 Calipers
Audi 90 Carriers
EBC 256mm X-Drilled/Grooved Discs
Ferodo DS3500 Pads
Goodridge Braided Hoses

Wheels and Tyres: To be fitted

Borbet BS 15x7 and 15x8
195/45/15 Tyres (Need purchasing)

Interior Styling:

Cobra Bucket Seats - To be replaced with Koenig Fixed Back Reclining Bucket Seats
Schroth Blue Harnesses with Pre-Tensioners
Roll Cage extending to A pillers and across windscreen
Twin-Pod Clocks with Rev-counter
300mm Momo Team with Snap-off Boss

Couple of pics:-

Outside the pub in Durham (its previous home)

Back on the drive this morning, meeting its yellow younger sister

Comments:-

After having two series 1 mk1 golfs and 6 others, i took a sabbatical to make polos go faster than they should. After building a 170bhp Mk2 Rallye Yellow Polo and a 170bhp+ Comet Blue Mk2 Polo Turbo, I noticed this beauty which would make a suitable home for the turbo lump.

The drive home was interesting, no stereo and a rather loud cherry bomb exhaust made some for deaf ears! Fuel stop at Scotch corner was met with an old dear taking picture of the car when I got out the petrol station. Top couple, taking pictures of it for thier dub mad son!

Lots of random switches and some choice electrics! - Big red button for a horn by an air vent, hard wired rad fan, with a switch in the glovebox!

Wipers didnt work, which was fine until I got to the M62 where naturally seeing signs for Manchester, she decided to greet me in true fashion by raining! So whilst having a fag and attempting to see out of a very wet window, I noticed a random toggle switch in the ashtray. A flick of the switch saw the wipers come on! RESULT!

Interior heaters don't work so probably either a few fuses out, or going by the state of electrics, so dodgy wiring, so a play with the multi-meter over the next week when the cars in the unit should see all the minor niggles rectified.

Clutch is slipping due to all the 55 raging ponies, but thats no concern of mine really as the car wasnt bought for the engine

Planning on painting the bonnet (had a large black square?!) and engine bay, and completing the turbo transplant before the 28th (our clubs Rolling Road day, which the comet blue polo was due to make its appearance!) Wish me luck =D

My two previous series 1's - Warning upsetting content.

The Muppet

The Muppets demise =[

Charlie Murphy

Well sorting out our new unit was a priority before anything could happen with the Mk1. It came in a bit of a sorry state!

which after a weekends effort looked like this

The blue mk2 coupe is also mine and will be providing its heart for the Mk1. The engines in question

Mk1

Turbo

If anyones interested in seeing the build of the engine - see this thread

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=244980&hl=

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1980 Golf LS Turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:49 pm »

So long suckaaaaaaaaaaa!

Holy Moly!

Just got water lines, gear linkage and driveshafts to come off and engines coming oot!

One big jigsaw puzzle :)

Tomorrow shall see the engine out of the G40, the blue mk2s suspension and subframe replaced with standard items and some rust in the mk1s engine bay cleaned up with a wire brush and sprayed.

Wednesday is a day off and Thursday see's three new arrivals to the unit!

If anyone has a new clutch (or good 2nd hand one) for a 4 speed polo/golf engine, please let me know!

Also after some 195/45/15 tyres for my Borbets

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »
Got the engine out of the Mk2 this eve

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:49:14 am »
See ya!

Oh Hai!

Thursday saw the new arrival of Adams 2 of 4 cars and another 2 of my 6 cars =/

It was like an episode of chuckle brothers, to me to you affair, especially with the peril, as half the front suspension was still disconnected! (all back together now that I could work in the dry!). The Lupolo is tucked away neatly behind the yellow golf and blue polo, its first indoor home in 2 years after I had to move out of my old unit near Jodrell Bank. Eddie Stobarts son bought the land to turn into a helipad and stables, the motherhubbard!

My head is still caning from walking into the shutter doors, nearly fell thru the beemers roof taking the above pic, and generally me and pidge were walking accidents!

Anyway the day saw more than enough progress and I managed to get some rusty bits cleaned up in the golfs engine bay and gave them a lick of POR-15, ready for Fridays endeavours!

So today I stripped off the polo engine mount and fitted the Golfie one, got the engine in the bay and front engine, side engine and rear gearbox mount fitted (note - you need to notch the rear engine mount to fit a polo box) and refitted the driveshafts.

Also offered up one of the borbs - 195/45/15 Goodyear Eagle F1s arrive next week, woohoo!

Hopefully Sunday should see the car back on the road, and thrust into daily action!

Jobs include

Tighten driveshafts
Cut and shut polo & golf front gearbox mount (for zee 5 speeder)
Fit turbo downpipe
Fit Intercooler
Fit oil cooler
Route Boost Hoses
Fit new top fill Rad & Slimline fan
Fit high pressure fuel pump, accumulator, in-tank lift pump and change fuel lines for 8mm ID items
wire up fuel pumps
fit ecu and wiring loom along with relayed power from ign switch
fit oz ruotes from the peril

test drive!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:25 am »
Decided to try my hand at some welding today as I got a decent welder off my big boss at work for 50 dukes.

Et Voila - One polo/golf hybrid mount!

Welds all look good and penetrated well. Ground them back and started to box off some of the open sections from the joins, and triangluate it at the front, but I ran out of wire! Gutted! So thats on the shopping list for tomorrow.

So onto the Intercooler and Boost Hosing.

Intercooler roughly hung in place (Good old electrical wire)

Working out the routing from the turbo to the intercooler was a right headscratcher. After pillaging all the boost hoses from the few FI engines I have, I finally settled on this.

So will weld in some brackets to hang the intercooler and radiator from tomorrow.

Need a 90 degree boost hose (top left of the turbo -> intercooler picture) as I'm one short. Anyone around manc way got one? If so PM me asap please if I can collect it tomorrow! otherwise I'll get it ordered off ebay tomo evening.

Lots of jobs for tomorrow, looking forward to cracking on!

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:00:18 pm »
Nice work dude, she looks in wonderful shape for an oldie! This and the engine looks a perfect match.

Have you puddle welded the mk1 golf gearbox mount to a mk2 polo one?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:46:27 pm »
Good work, loving the unit too. Looks like a proper VW old school hide out. Bet there will be some late evenings down there on the motors!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:42:57 am »
Well today saw a very productive day

- Got the driveshafts tightened
- Fitted downpipe
- Painted and fitted custom gearbox mount (my first attempt at welding, see pic below!)
- Intercooler, Oil Cooler, Radiator all fitted and plumbed in. Everythings held in place with cable ties at the minute so I know where to fit brackets to.
- In-tank lift pump and new 8mm ID fuel lines fitted
- Clutch, Speedo & Throttle cables fitted
- Servo vac feed fitted

Tomorrow shall see the
- Injection fuel assembly mounted underneath the rear of the car and plumbed in
- Fuel pumps wired up
- ECU Mounting
- Engine bay wiring
- Dump valve vac feed fitting

Also need to do

Relocate the battery to inside the cabin, as the space is taken up by boost hoses now!

Boost/AFM/Oil Pressure Guages fitting (roughly as I dont want to cut into the dash, dont fancy garish on dash pods, so I think a 3 guage centre console is required!)

anyway some pics

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:47:51 am »
Nice work dude, she looks in wonderful shape for an oldie! This and the engine looks a perfect match.

Have you puddle welded the mk1 golf gearbox mount to a mk2 polo one?

cut the rubber mount section of the polo mount off where its spot welded to the gearbox bracket. cut the lower section of the golf mount so the polo mount sat snugly in the middle, held it all in place on the car, with the use of a half a brick and a brake line, tacked a few welds on, took it off and welded it, ground them back, cut down the offcuts of metal to bridge the gaps between the two mounts and welded them in, and once all the initial welds were ground back i laid a track of welds along the entire thing, getting it nice and toasty so it penetrated well. I've stomped on the mount and it doesnt seem to be going anywhere in a hurry, so fingers crossed all is well :)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:49:15 am »
Good work, loving the unit too. Looks like a proper VW old school hide out. Bet there will be some late evenings down there on the motors!

haha standard behaviour mate! me and adam have had a few 5am finishes when we used to work up at the pit on his farm, i remember falling asleep half over the pit when i was tightening up his arb

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:16:12 am »
I've stomped on the mount and it doesnt seem to be going anywhere in a hurry, so fingers crossed all is well :)

;D It passed the initial fatigue test then!

Time will tell..

How are you going about the wiring? Are you changing the golf interior loom?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 10:54:31 am »
no modifications required to the interior loom, bar splicing into the black wire from the ignition column.

rest of the engine and fuel pump wiring is pretty standalone

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:19 am »
Injection fuel assembly mounted underneath the rear of the car and plumbed in
- Fuel pumps wired up
- ECU Mounting
- Engine bay wiring
- Dump valve vac feed fitting

Wiring all takes longer than expected, but I'd rather do it (semi) right the first time round!

ECU mounted in the scuttle tray
Trusty holesaw saw a hole made in the raintray-> engine compartment for the G40 loom to pass through
Wired up all the G40 sensors
Welded studs to the turrets to mount the coil
Coil mounted, wires extended as passed into the inside of the car
Fuel pump wiring routed and soldered
Fuel pump and coil relays fitted and soldered
Battery earth terminal removed, and earths moved

Tomorrow I'm off to pick up the earth and power lead from a e46 330i and a momo team off a friend (already got one for this, buts its to replace the one I robbed out of the peril!)

Few jobs remaining that I can think of before it can fire up

Vac pipe for dump valve
Weld studs to underside of car to mount fuel pump cradle
Mount fuel pump assembly and route fuel lines up to in-tank pump
Trusty holesaw again to make hole in boot-floor for rear fuel pump loom
Mount battery in boot
Route battery power cable to starter
Move all positive battery connections currently fitted to starter motor
Wire up alternator
weld bracket for header tank and fit
route turbo water lines
fit midbox
rejoice, fire up and drive =D
get tyres fitted on borbets and get the tracking done

Jobs for next week will be getting the comet blue coupe back up on the road, mot'ing the Grey Mk3 G40 and removing the golfs dash to sort out the abomination that is the dash loom, check out the shocking state of affairs in the fusebox!

I'm finding conflicting threads for the fuses for series 1 fuseboxes, and no idea on the relays, can anyone help?!

(source owners manual 8/79):

1. Dipped beam left (8 amp)
2 Dipped beam right (8 amp)
3. High beam left, high beam warning lamp (8 amp)
4. High beam right (8 amp)
5. Heated rear window (16 amp)
6. Emergency lights, brake lights (8 amp)
7. Interior light, cigarette lighter, radio, clock (8 amp)
8. Turn signals (8 amp)
9. Reversing lights, horn, selector level console (automatic gearbox) automatic choke and pilot cut-off valve (carburetor engines) (8 amp)
10 Fresh air blower (16 amp)
11. Windscreen wipers and washer pump, rear window washer pump intermittent relay (8 amp)
12. Number plate lights (8 amp)
13. Side light right, tail light right (8 amp)

from this thread

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35549

1 left headlamp Low beam
2 Right headlamp Low beam
3 Left headlamp High beam
4 Right headlamp High beam
5 Heated rear window
6 Interior light
7 Brake lights Ciggy lighter
8 Indicators
9 Horn
10 Headlamp washers Rear window warning lamp
11 heater Fan
12 Number plate lamps
13 Tail light right front side light right
14 tail light left front side light left
15 Foglamp
14. Side light left, tail light left (8 amp)
15. Radiator fan (25 amp)

One of the unit lads is going to get me a load of wire from his work and I'm probably going to redo the entire dash loom by hand, that way I know it'll be right, as currently its slightly unnerving, but to all who know my previous endeavours, I now keep a fire extinguisher in all cars

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:13 pm »

haha standard behaviour mate! me and adam have had a few 5am finishes when we used to work up at the pit on his farm, i remember falling asleep half over the pit when i was tightening up his arb

from Sat through to Tuesday we worked till at least 1-2am... needless to say me and saf have been more productive on the cars than at work this week!!!

Hope you get it finished tonight Safwa ready for tomo!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:18:56 pm by grungeisdead »