Author Topic: Chain Driven  (Read 1424 times)

Offline beatboxG40

• Members
  • lader baby
Chain Driven
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:05:06 am »
Morning chaps, i had a quick search on here with no luck, but am wondering if anyone has heard of using a chain driven system to run the supercharger,

if anyone knows any 'cons' of this idea wud be great, i suppose the most obv 'pro' is no slip, ever, and the main 'con' is chain snap, but that comes with the territory and is a risk on all belt and pully systems anyways id asume going from what ive read on here,

thanks very much

andy

Offline Oli b

• Members
Re: Chain Driven
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:00:30 am »
The main problem with chain drive would be how its made, it would need to be fully enclosed
And have constant oiling and bet would sound like a noiser loose oil pump chain .tooth belts are the best way to get fixxed drive to the charger chain drive just sounds like a ballache tbh

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »
Lubrication isn't a huge issue, bikes only have a tiny drip fed chain oiler, exposing them to the elements (most bikes aren't ridden through winter) I guess will shorten service life.

Having sprockets made is costly and you'd need a position to mount a tensioner on (probably engine mount), also have a sprocket made for the alternator. Chains, unlike v-belts- don't tolerate bad alignment at all- so will snap (with potential for alot of damage) if everything is out of true.

It's not a massively stupid idea, but it's not really required, chains have good strength for their cross section, so are required in some applications (i.e Jap Superbike vs Harley Belt driven) when space is at a premium. But when you've already got a toothed belt, ribbed belt, and v-belt option, I'd not bother for the cost vs benefit.

Also with minimal load on the charger (at idle) you'd probably get a fair amount of 'slap' which is noisy. Probably way quieter than German toothies!

Offline beatboxG40

• Members
  • lader baby
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:36:41 pm »
 :) i did think it was a long shot but indeed the money spent to create such dream is adventurous and toothires have always been on my buy list, but never bort  ???, i will have to spent some doh on toothed the pulleys, porting the throttle body shud be done aswell im assuming, i do have a ported and polished gt inlet mani and custom hard pipes from the ic, i just gotta get on with it really and treat thy polo, thanks guys

Online hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:43:47 pm »
I notice insightg40 has a set of the original early PSD toothed belt pullies for sale in the for sale section.  In my opinion these are the best you can get, I ran a set of them for years and never had a single belt snap on me and the pullies do not wear if you use the correct belt with the correct tooth profile (PeteG40 can supply these).  I have no vested interest in this by the way, it#s just those are pretty hard to come by!