Author Topic: Lsd's and drag racing.  (Read 5443 times)

Offline Karlos the jackyl

• Members
    • VW Polo
Re: Lsd's and drag racing.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:01:02 pm »
I tried this method many years ago, it makes the car very nasty to drive.. the steering wheel tried to rip itself out of my hands everytime the loud pedal was pressed.. to a point it was deemed a hazard on the public highway.

Slow cornering was silly , again needing 2 hands to go around a normal turning,  not forgetting needing about 5000rpm to park up anywhere.  You can even hear the front end of the car creaking  due to the  additional stress it puts on the drivetrain.

Yeah welding is cheap.. but a propper LSD is worth its weight in gold by far.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »
tommo make some solid rear struts for draging too. i seen a nova valva a bit back with scaffold bars as rear struts to stop it squating and it made a good difference for front end grip. he had a welded diff too.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »
Yeah, I know I should fit solid rears but I like to go there as a 'street car' rather than a race prepared one if you know what I mean. I will have all 4 seats, a parcel shelf, jack, spare wheel etc. I know im pushing this a bit with the welded diff, but if I cant drive it there then it wont be going down the track with it. Im just not a fan of people who say 'my car runs these times' when infact that was with different tyres, suspension settings, no seats etc. Anyone can do all that stuff to make their car faster so I just dont see the point of doing it just so you have a number to brag with, it means sod all when you are sat at the traffic lights next to someone  ;D.

Karlos, its good to hear from someone who tried welded diffs. I will be very careful when I try it on the road as you suggest its pretty awful, I will persist for now but if its as bad as you make out then I dont think it will be in there very long.

Offline Karlos the jackyl

• Members
    • VW Polo
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »
Tommo , old post I know .. but how did you get on with this?