Author Topic: Part availability  (Read 1865 times)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Part availability
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:39:44 pm »
I've been thinking recently... obviously, the G40 is no spring chicken now and parts will be getting harder to get hold of. I'm not too concerned about a lot of things such as bearings, bushes etc. etc. as I'm sure they're easy enough to get similar off the shelf replacements.

But I have been wondering, what about the various parts like sensors? Are there usually suitable generic parts that will do the job if, so my CO pot sensor decided to give up?

Then there's the biggy... the supercharger. They're supposed to be serviced every 20k or so. Like I said, I'm not too worried about bearing availability, but what about the oil seals and apex seals? Are these going to start getting hard to get hold of in the future, or are there plenty of companies out there that can fabricate these things?

I plan on holding onto mine for a very long time and rather not find myself unable to replace certain parts when needed.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Part availability
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:46:20 pm »
I the rarer parts that come up for sale on here and keep them. I think i get a spare sensor for everything.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »
apex and oil seals wont be a prob, just some chargers with over 200k on them will be hanging!

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:57 pm »
What kinds of places would produce/supply apex and oil seals? Would I just be able to give them my old ones when they die and get them to make some nice new ones?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:22 pm »
look in the superchargers section - i supply all parts for them.

I use the company that produced them for vw in the 1990s for apex seals and reputable seal manufacturers (that psd/gwerks use) for oil seals.  there's a faq on rebuilding them too!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »
Things like that are off the shelf parts which will be used in loads of applications, they weren't manufactured specifically for g40s. Like pete says, charger casings and scrolls will be more of an issue.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »
Cool, cool! Thanks for the input  :)

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »
At this time,what parts aren't available any more from VW and where do you go for an alternative? The TCA's ran out some time ago but PPP have got them covered; that's one good example. Steering arms aren't available, has anyone had a set refurbed?  Head components, gaskets, anything peculiar to the PY not available anymore and what if anything replaces them from other engines ? Gearbox playing up, what's the likelyhood you'll get the parts for a proper re-build? Is it time to get paranoid?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:17 pm »
I bet TCA's aren't obsolete, someone said in another thread VW were showing non in stock, not that they were obsolete. However yeah we probably will struggle for some stuff. Most of what we will struggle to get hold of will be stuff most people wouldn't buy anyway because its too expensive from VAG. As Hayesey says most stuff is interchangeable with other models so we'll probably be ok for a good few years, trying to run my wifes Corrado is getting difficult. Stuff that is actually needed for an MOT has been made obsolete.