Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 2673 times)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Wheels
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:09 am »
Im after a set of new to me wheels, Im not into going down the route of alloys.

I just want a good set of steel wheels that are around the 185 wide as mine are only 155 wide they spin up like a bi**h when its wet and lock up for fun when breaking sharply.

And now winter is on its way i NEED more grip. Im only after steelies (G40 BBS's may be an option) to keep the sleeper look of the bready, so can any one recomend me any other manufacturers that have the same size and offset wheels of the standard polo but wider.

Im currently running 155/50 13"

Any help would be great, or if you have any lying around that you want to sell please get in touch.

Gav

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:15:41 am »
wider wheels/tyres will more than likely give you less grip in very cold, wet, snowy conditions.

consider getting a set of winter tyres for your current wheels, they'll make a good difference.  Even though I've not driven them on any proper snow yet, just in the cold and wet, my winter tyres on my volvo have made a good difference. 

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:25 am »
wider wheels/tyres will more than likely give you less grip in very cold, wet, snowy conditions.

True I see where your coming from. But im looking at it also for a longer term, as these wheels i have now spin up for fun when it rains in summer so most of the summer time i cant put all the power down. I personally think its the tyres too, but the more rubber the better in the summer.

Ill take a look at putting winter tyres on mine for the winter months and swap them over in the summer to a wider set. Do you know what other makes and model cars have a simular offset to the polos or is it just going to be a case of trauling the net to see what there is.

Cheers for the help

Gav

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
Get some 13x5.5" Polo GT steelies - or similar steels from Mk4 Polos, or Golfs of a similar age.

You can fit 175/60 R13 tyres to them for a bit more useful width - or go down to 50 profile if you want it to be lower. Ran 175/50 R13 A539s on mine for years 'til I switched to 14"s to fit bigger brakes. That's also on a breadvan.

Steelies should be cheap (free?!) enough so you can have two sets - one for winter and one for summer.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:40 pm »
a mate of mine has some off an old polo of his, hey are

6J ET-43, with 185 55's 14" is the off set miles off, as i seem to remember some one saying its best not to go over et38 with the offset.