• Members
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:07:06 pm »
 :)

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: 250k
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:17:27 pm »
hey all,
just thought i would give you a look at my G40 hitting the 250k mark and still going strong. it has had its problems but stil on the original block(1272).
the other original engine parts would be the crank and bearings, con rods (shells replaced), cam, some valves and some other minor items probably. not sure on the box if its original or not.
i have had this car for 7 years and loved every minute of being behind the wheel.
The only power mods done to the car are as follows, filter and heat sheild, 65mm pully, exhaust from down pipes back ,R1 charger, G60 injectors, GT inlet manny and DWTB.
in 5 years time i should hit the 300k mark i hope.

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:20:36 pm »
as the car looks today. and to add to the above post this is an original G40.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »
Congrats! Good to know they can last if looked after. Do you have a bit more info about the work to the engine, when it was done and what was done for example? cheers

Also, any work necessary to the rest of the car that might be seen as a bit unusual, but necessary because of the milage?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »
My golden oldie; fuck me but she's looking good young man. I was told that she (and driver) were totalled some years ago by some one who lives in C..... . I had a lot of happy miles in that wee beastie and in truth I always regretted not having the money to spend on her to keep her up to scratch. Her replacement's in some ways an act of contrition; sorned till the end of march now but looking good and going better. Just a kiddy at 128k though. Really need to have a meeting some time. Might be through to Turriff in the next few weeks, will let you know.
             John.  

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 05:41:06 pm »
Nice one. That looks pretty tidy for the mileage. Early one too by the looks of it.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »
I had the car from about 35k to 170k; used as a daily. Very little work done, but oil changes religiously every 3k, distributor caps, rotors,leads and plugs as and when. Suspension was Koni Yellows IIRC and eventually a Powerflow exhaust. Gearbox is original. Interior took a bit of stick over the years, but bodywork was immaculate while I lived in the sticks. Fourteen days in Inverness carparks and it had half a dozen dings.
The car's history before me was interesting; used by the dealership as a runabout for their head mechanic it had a rep. as a giant killer. It had a replacement charger at about 30k, supposedly due to a piece of swarf in the oil feed. It also had the remains of what I believe was an attempt to inject Nitrous into the charger through the boost return which was more likely the reason for the charger change. It may have had an engine rebuild at that time, but nobody was giving me any straight talk on it. Certainly the only problem I ever had was a dead ECU with no reason found for failure. The G just kept going.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:02:46 pm »
This is SO good, so much for them being unreliable! I'm proud to see this and hopefully will see it on my car soon too.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 12:00:58 am »
buzzing mate! goes to show that with a bit of love any car can perform for an age!

this is another two fingers up to the disposable car generation!

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »
well to answer cheys,  it had 172k when i bought it and without looking in my box of receipts i overhauled the basic engine at 185k(charger was done earlier). the overhaul consisted of conrod shell bearings, rings, fuel pump, re-lapped valves and all seals, gaskets and belts, all vw parts. i was actually surprised to only find minor wear on the bearings.
that was the first time i was in the engine, then about 230k it gave problems (low comp), found out 2 of the pistons had started to break up also the head was starting to crack between the valves. replaced the 4 pistons and head i got from another engine i bought(around 100k on the clock) and shells, rings and gaskets etc...
Thats the only engine problems i have come across, i have never had the block, the gearbox or clutch out of the car.

Body- i have had to replace both doors and wings and boot lid is on its way out. had to weld the drivers footwell cos it was badly rusted,
The shocks are as John says but i bought new ones. brakes are black diamond with braided hoses.

Any parts i have bought i will get from VW if available.

John- its good to know that someone on here had my car cos i got no history with it, just the logbook. and yeh if your down just give me a pm and you can see the beast for yourself.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to provide all the details gents, really is very interesting and should be good to reference in future for other high milers.

Offline 86C

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:15:23 pm »
That's got 28K on mine then(just about to clock over to 222k as I write this)

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »
Very nice! never new your was capri green? always presumed grey :) Glad to hear your good to keep going aswell!

Jake

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:00 pm »
it's the 2nd or 3rd time that i read this topic, but today i made the conversion from miles to km, and that's 400.000km, that's a looootttttt!!! great to know that a original standard block can last all those kms when well cared!

keep on going mate! amazing car you have there!

cheers
André