Author Topic: G-WERKS closing!!  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Adampolog40

• Members
G-WERKS closing!!
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:08:21 pm »
not sure if any of you know but have just seen on facebook that sadly there closing! darren had a lot to do with building my engine for my g, gutted not gonna get the chance to get it back down there after running it in!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G-WERKS closing!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:13:47 pm »
No way! Feel sorry for Darren and the lads

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:22 pm »
I'd seen rumours on dubforce, but didn't know it was happening

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »
Saw this on R32OC, many people have had bad problems with him G-Werks and also a few people have money tied up with him as well!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14:31 pm »
Saw this on R32OC, many people have had bad problems with him G-Werks and also a few people have money tied up with him as well!

Teach them to buy shit wheels.

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:33:17 pm »
Is anyone really that surprised though, in this climate who is paying places like that big money?

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:39:41 am »
my charger lasted 5 miles when i had it rebuilt there never took it over 2000rpm either!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:42:04 am »
It's obviously hard times these last few years, I'm not sure from reading the post on various forums that's been the problem- without hearing it from Darren I'd not want to speculate. Just hope he finds his feet and everyone comes out equal regarding cash and parts.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:55:26 am »
Seems to be really common in this scene - though I'm surprised G-Werks has gone. I thought they were netting the guys with deep pockets?

Either way though, things are really tough for tuners etc at the moment. It's one of many reasons why the mags are closing down - the advertising money isn't there. People are either cutting back on what they spend (including advertising) or going bust (in which case, they're not advertising either). That's why it pays to be a niche mag like PVW - niche mags attract niche advertisers, so you're pitching to a very specific readership.

A lot of the problem is, as well, the "scene" is that much smaller these days. It's not seen as very cool to be buzzing around in a modified car, even if it is running flashy wheels and a £5k paint job. That's not to say it's died altogether, but it's gone back to being a small scale hobby and even out of that small group not many people do big money projects any more. Wheels, a few colour highlights, some stickers and a lowering kit.

I don't think all of the above is recession based either. It's been heading that way for years. New cars don't help - they're leaving the forecourt with decent wheels, stereos and all the bits they need nowadays.

Sad times, basically.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 03:37:16 pm »
i always thought he dealt with the high end clientèle as well

just goes to show, even they stop updating their cars or move on.

yeah many good points made,
 but your right a lot of new cars are looking the part now from the factory. so the middle of road modder has nothing to do anymore or the need to do anything.
I never had to use G-werks, but spent many an hour down there in the old days when PSD was next door and around the corner. and dont know much of the goings on anymore, but wish him good luck in what he does next.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:40:12 pm by DMWG40 »